[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
WORKLESS FAMILIES - Page 6 - Carers UK Forum

WORKLESS FAMILIES

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
I am seriously starting to lose sleep over this, I have even started trying to find a job every employer says the same thing "why havent you worked for the last..." so many years and when I say "caring for my grandparents." instantly they asked if its still on going I say yes and they say they aren't interested....WTF does the government expect us to do?

....WTF does the government expect us to do?
What exactly has the government got to do with this problem? They dont control the market, do they? Traditionally, the route out of poverty was by setting up a business, and recessions create more business opportunities than most people imagine. We all have some skills we can trade with. Nobody is going to solve this problem unless we take ownership of it. We live in a democracy: the elected government is just our monkey, but we grind the organ!
"I am seriously starting to lose sleep over this, I have even started trying to find a job every employer says the same thing "why havent you worked for the last..." so many years and when I say "caring for my grandparents." instantly they asked if its still on going I say yes and they say they aren't interested....WTF does the government expect us to do?"

Guineapiggies86 - may I suggest to you that the next time a prospective employer asked you why you haven't "worked" for whatever length of time, you politely reply that you have indeed been working, and working bloody hard in your caring capacity. I can state with total certainty and honesty that the 18 months I spend as a full-time carer for my late Dad was the hardest work I have ever done! Caring demands a strong worth ethic, persistence, patience, integrity, sacrifice, every "people" skill in the book and a few thousand other attirbutes, too many to list here! IMHO, an employer who gets the opportunity to employ a carer or ex-carer is a lucky employer indeed.

Best wishes

D