[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
WORKLESS FAMILIES - Carers UK Forum

WORKLESS FAMILIES

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
GEORGE OSBORNE has placed carers who receive the carers allowance as part of the workless famiiles group ... lets hope someone from carers uk who are at the conservative conference , remind him that carers are the only benefit claimants, who have to prove to the department of works and pensions , that we do in fact "WORK " for a minimum of 35 hours each wek , and we should not be included as part of the workless families group , i find this statement very insulting to me ... when we all know we receive the lowest benefit and save the state cash ...
well said George
George, you can rely on CUK to put the point across as they have done for so long and will continue to do so in the future.
Well said George I spotted this also and made comments regarding that on the Guardian comments
For your information.

Duncan Smith was interviewed on Sky a while back he indicated that people with severe disabilities and their carers would be looked at separately.
Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith recently said the benefit would remain separate from "universal credit", with carers free to take part-time or short-term work without losing their benefits.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11466178

This pdf looks like the blue print for the Universal benefit.
*It would greatly reduce (ideally eliminate) the number of households living in severe poverty (less than 40 per cent of median income), while disabled people, carers and those with other exceptional circumstances would still receive other benefits on top of the negative income tax. Far fewer families would fall through the net.*

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/welfarereform.pdf
For your information.

Duncan Smith was interviewed on Sky a while back he indicated that people with severe disabilities and their carers would be looked at separately.
Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith recently said the benefit would remain separate from "universal credit", with carers free to take part-time or short-term work without losing their benefits.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11466178
I had read that when it 1st came out. Way I read it D is that he was talking of DLA being seperate only. CA is mentioned further down with no great detail.
It's going to be fun watching them wriggle on this one.
I'm in the exact middle of all the debates: I work p/t, I care 35 hrs plus for my son, I have an occupational pension but it's under £1000 per month, my wife works f/t (50 hrs a week if you include the commute) for an average salary, my daughter is at Uni and requires significant financial support, and I still have a mortgage and big outgoings.
I havent been claiming carers allowance for while, but my income varies from week to week, and I have just re-applied because there are some weeks when I would rather take it easy, not work too hard, spend more time swimming and biking with my son, and get CA, rather than work hard knocking on doors for hours and not gain a single brass penny extra to show for it. The system is a farce, it really is. Why work hard if you cant earn and show a benefit?
And by the way, Carers Allowance is only worth £36 a week to me, because I pay tax on it. That is £1 an hour. ha ha ha - yes its a joke, but at our expense, because I'm not laughing. Put my son into care and they would be spending £50-80,000 a year and counting.

Anyway, today I went for a long country walk with Jay and we picked about two kilos of wild oyster mushrooms: then made a huge omelette with bacon and eggs and cheese and herbs and scoffed it - the rest of the mushrooms went in the freezer for later. Yum Yum Yum!
Where is all this going to leave carers of retirement age, student carers, people caring for more than one person??? So little detail to go with these big announcements.

On a seperate note, the announcement about child benefit. Not had it confirmed as yet, maybe someone here knows if true. Seemingly like with most things there is a loophole.

Its said if a single parent earns in excess of £44,000, child benefit is withdrawn. However, if a married couple both earn less than £44 grand each, they can still claim child benefit.

Rob, going to be a very interesting AGM this year. We still have the spending review ahead of it. Image
Have fun at the AGM, 'cos I'm going to leave you and love you: Jay and I are offski to the Antipodes for the winter to save on extortionate fuel costs and sleep on friends sofas. Its cheap and cheerful, but it works. Reminds me of my student days in the 1970's I used to sign on the dole for the holidays and then head off to Skye to go climbing - or even potholing in Spain all summer at taxpayers expense - well there werent any jobs going so what was the point of even pretending!
Can the last one to leave the UK please remember to switch off the lights.
Next time you walk past one of these things, take a second look: this is a wild oyster mushroom cluster, it is highly edible and regarded as a gourmet delicacy; and it is worth at least £20. Bag it!