[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Why carers need a break - Carers UK Forum

Why carers need a break

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
It is unacceptable that people who dedicate their lives to caring for vulnerable relatives are not getting the support they need
http://www.guardian.co.uk/social-care-n ... need-break
Absolutely right.
I spent last weekend very romantically at a very nice hotel in the Lake District with my wife, walking the hills and relaxing, whilst my boy was being looked after by my older daughter and her partner and treated to a day-trip to Newcastle Science centre: and all paid for by my local carers centre which has access to a Scottish breaks for carers scheme. Wouldnt have known about it if it wasnt for his lovely social worker, who shoved the forms our way.
And last year another short breaks grant helped pay for my son and I to go ski-ing in the Alps for a week, also put our way by our social worker. (I call her the fairy godmother, because she keeps on granting our wishes, LOL)
My point is, there is often help available but if we campaign TOO negatively then there is a risk that other carers will assume that there is no help available and just get depressed and switch off. Let's put this into persepective: (and after 20 years in the saddle I am as qualified as anyone else to say this), whilst I am not denying that some areas are cutting back hard, there is probably more help available for carers now than at any time in the last fifty years, but as always, it pays to network and rummage around to find it, it won't just fall in your lap.
While you are right that there is help out there, Scally, it's also true that the number of people accessing help has gone down. It's much harder in our area to get help if you have a disabled child, for example, and at our carers centre we're currently working on a project that is looking at short breaks services for people with Learning Disabilities - most of them have been caring for over 30 years and frankly they probably need more respite than they are getting. But it's not likely, is it?

And while it never does - or hardly ever - why shouldn't it "just fall in your lap"? Why should only those who understand the system get a service?

The issue here is that local councils who were given the money for carers breaks have used it to shore up other services/costs and ignored carers. For at least 4 consecutive years in some cases. That's unacceptable.
<snip>And while it never does - or hardly ever - why shouldn't it "just fall in your lap"? Why should only those who understand the system get a service?

The issue here is that local councils who were given the money for carers breaks have used it to shore up other services/costs and ignored carers. For at least 4 consecutive years in some cases. That's unacceptable.
Indeed.
I hope that all carers will continue to press their point of view across for a short break , its just a case of seeing your GP and they can point you in the right place. We all need a rest. Regards amandah
There is also the point that sometimes the caree doesnt want to the carer to have respite and there can be a lot of emotional blackmail on the carees side leading to the carer feeling guilty about taking any respite they are due. Consequently, the carer doesnt push for any respite and just carries on getting more and more tired.
Or it can be the case that there is no SUITABLE respite care available as in our case. I once advised our GP that my husband and I were carers and his reply was "So, what do you expect me to do about it?"!!! So no it is not a simple case of seeing your GP and he will point you in the right direction. For some of us suitable respite just isn't there (especially once the children's hospice gets its way and kicks my son out) for those of us whose carees need 24/7 care. We couldn't go skiing even if it was on offer as the skis won't attach to a 25 stone powered wheelchair with a ventilator on the back!

Eun
Hi there , I am a carer for my Hubby and he & I go on mini breaks together. This is the only way it works for us. And always will. We adore each other too much. And worst of all he is now in real trouble with both eyes cattarachs, are forming, following a stroke behind the retina. So I am feeling really awful for him. regards Amandah Ps I also suffer from anxiety. So it does not help.
This may sound unbelievable but I have not had a break in 23 years.........honest.