[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carer wins seat for Glasgow Labour - Carers UK Forum

Carer wins seat for Glasgow Labour

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... 1381449185

The result, declared early on Friday, showed Labour's John Kane as the winner of a seat previously held by SNP stalwart Councillor Allison Hunter, who died recently.

Mr Kane, a full-time carer for his disabled partner who has been resident in the ward for 25 years, beat the the SNP's Helen Walker and 12 other candidates.

The poll was run on the Single Transferable Vote system. Turn-out was 20.06%.

Mr Kane's victory, on a 7% swing, strengthens Labour's grip on Glasgow, which had been a key target for the SNP at the 2012 elections.
if this gentleman is a full time carer for his partner, how does he intend to find the time to fulfill his duty to the people who voted for him i wonder.
if this gentleman is a full time carer for his partner, how does he intend to find the time to fulfill his duty to the people who voted for him i wonder.
Oh gawd pamr1, you've opened up a can of worms there Image Image
In the same way as many full-time carers also keep a job down, I would think.
I'm sorry Charles but if they are able to work in a paid job they are ipso facto not a full time carer.

Eun
I'm sorry Charles but if they are able to work in a paid job they are ipso facto not a full time carer.

Eun
Disagree. Much of a councillors work is from home, and the rest can be covered by others, paid or unpaid. There is a whole lot more to being a good carer than providing hands on care: I think I am caring at my best when I am co-ordinating the work of paid peer-supporters for my son to ensure that he has age-appropriate social activities.
35 hours a week is by definition full time. I was caring for over 50 hours a week and working full time until Mike moved into his own place. And on call 24/7 - like any other carer.