[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Volunteers could earn 'care credits' for helping others - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

Volunteers could earn 'care credits' for helping others

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
My understanding is that until Prohibition in the USA, drugs and alcohol could be obtained legally there. The alchohol issue was the big one because "everybody" drank. Hence the eventual repeal of the alcohol provisions of Prohibition. But the drug element was not repealed, and the large alcohol-running gangs had to come up with something...and the drugs racket was born.
King James 1st ( or as we say in Scotland, King James the Sixth) did everything in his power to stamp out tobacco...
With this kind of intemperate language he would probably have been banned from this forum for at least a month, but its fun, isnt it? http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/kjcounte.htm]
And all these toys do only proceed from the mistaking non causam pro causa[5] as I have already said, and so if a man chance to remove one of any disease after he hath taken tobacco, that must have the thanks of all. But by the contrary, if a man smoke himself to death with it (as many have done) then some other disease must bear the blame for that fault. So do old harlots thank their harlotry for their many years that custom being healthful (say they) ad purgandos renes[6], but never have mind how many die of the pox in the flower of their youth, and so do old drunkards think they prolong their days by their swine like diet, but never remember how many die drowned in drink before they be half old.

Moreover, which is a great iniquity, and against all humanity. The husband shall not be ashamed to reduce thereby his delicate wholesome and clean-complexioned wife to that extremity that either she must also corrupt her sweet breath therewith, or else resolve to live n a perpetual stinking torment.

Have you not reason then to be ashamed and to forbear this filthy novelty, so basely grounded, so foolishly received and so grossly mistaken in the right use thereof. In your abuse thereof sinning against God harming yourselves both in person and goods, and raking also thereby the marks and notes of vanity upon you by the custom thereof making yourselves to be wondered at by all foreign civil nations and by all strangers that come among you to be scorned and held in contemp; a custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs, and in the black stinking fume thereof nearest resembling the horrible stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless.[/quote]
Now, I've never been much for Royals, but old James I got it spot on:
a custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs,
Took until the 1950s for anyone to actually prove it...
Many others spotted the link between cancer and smoking, but their concerns were simply brushed aside, much as we now have a lobby for nuclear power stations arguing that they are green energy because they don't produce much carbon/greenhouse gases.
Tobacco was grown in the Vale of Evesham, James sent in the troops to destroy the crop, proving that prohibition doesn't work, in the long run social peer pressure and public information appears to be more powerful.
I wonder what unhealthy habits will be exposed next? I suspect that prescription drugs are the true and almost hidden legacy of the last part of the 20th Century - how many millions are still addicted?
I read that ministers are considering a scheme allowing volunteers who help the elderly or disabled, to earn time credits for their own care later in life.

Bad idea. Some years ago there was a similar community scheme. Volunteers were sent to give free help to vulnerable people such as elderly/infirm folks. My elderly, frail mum was sent a big burly bloke to replace a loose shower tile. He did a botched job and insisted on payment and a free cooked lunch from the meal my mum was preparing for herself. When he went she felt so relieved as she was so scared. She thought that was that. However, out of the blue he called again. Fortunately I was there in another room. I heard him trying it on again with my mum - trying to intimidate her, saying he needed a meal and money for starters. I sent him away with a flea in his year and later informed the organisation that sent him. Apparently this was not the first time similar intimidation had been used by some other volunteer 'helpers' on others Most volunteers are good, kind people, but these sort of schemes can be used by unscrupulous villains to find the address of vulnerable people.

It struck me – I gave up over 16 years of my life to care for my elderly/infirm parents as they could not cope in their council flat and dreaded going to a nursing home. Eventually I had to give up my secure, full-time job as they needed full-time care and had come to live with me. Also I have cared for my disabled son all his life since he was born in 1953. I have never been eligible to receive any financial compensation such as Carers’ Allowance. What sort of credit would I get if this daft scheme was put into effect?!!