[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Volunteers could earn 'care credits' for helping others - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Volunteers could earn 'care credits' for helping others

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
if we have just 6 million elderly disabled who may need care at home.... if they get the volunteers to work for just a couple of hours per day , the total of care hours supplied by the volunteers would be about 90 million care hours per week ... can you ever see that being done, i cant ...
why just volunteers who will receive carers credits ... what of us mugs ... it is very clear they dont want family members to be in receipt of the carers allowance simple as that ... we are not wanted .. but the volunteers will never ever do the work that we do ...
Pensioners blast 'care on the cheap'

read here
Care services minister Paul Burstow said the plan could help people take more responsibility for the cost of caring for older people.
I thought that was what NI Contributions and Income Tax were for, to contribute towards the cost of caring for the generation(s) who paid for your education, health care, etc. through their contributions.
That was my understanding as well.
SORRY but PAUL BURSTOW IS NOT FIT FOR OFFICE IF THIS IS ALL HE CAN COME UP WITH ...
In my view carers have already built up enough imaginary credits to last them a lifetime, maybe we should all take retirement now!

Take a look at all the video's Personal care budgets give 'control over lives'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11657842

I think carer allowance will go
I don't know whether to feel flattered or insulted by this???

As someone who has done work in the charity sector, I used to feel bad about taking the staff discount offered by a lot of the charity shops and would "donate" my discount back to the charity.

As far as the credits go, I'm not sure this is a good idea when you watch programmes on tv - even today - where our elderly and disabled are abused in so many ways, physically, sexually, mentally, financially, just to name a few. If this was a marriage, these people would have grounds for divorce.

Instead the establishment is their home, so what do they do? A lot of the time they have to "put up with it" because of fear or feeling trapped. Surely, these credits would be better spent plowed into looking after them and protecting them from this in the same way that we'd protect our children from this kind of harm?
in 1996 before i gave up work to care for STAN ... i was at a Labour party/union meeting, and the subject of carers was raised , to be honest did not really bother me at the time , but it should have .. one carer said the Labour party should allow carers to retire early , the scheme they put forward , which did get some support even from me .. was for every year as a carer with the carers allowance ( did not even know there was an allownace ) the carer could retire one month early ... looking back it was not much to ask for, but could have beeen a vote winner ... not that it was needed as Blair walked in...
in 1996 before i gave up work to care for STAN ... i was at a Labour party/union meeting, and the subject of carers was raised , to be honest did not really bother me at the time , but it should have .. one carer said the Labour party should allow carers to retire early , the scheme they put forward , which did get some support even from me .. was for every year as a carer with the carers allowance ( did not even know there was an allownace ) the carer could retire one month early ... looking back it was not much to ask for, but could have beeen a vote winner ... not that it was needed as Blair walked in...
That was a really good idea, shame it was never taken forward.
"The path to hell is paved with good intentions" ... Blair proved that, and Cameron appears to following in his footsteps. I genuinely don't think these "leaders" start off by intending to be nasty people, they really honestly genuinely believe in what they do. They obviously have a screw or two missing. But, that's democracy for you, does anyone really, seriously, want to offer an alternative system? I suppose it would help if the British public actually had sufficient education and motivation to take an interest in who runs the country, but all the evidence shows that they are more interested in who wins "Strictly" or whichever other mediocre talent contest is on the telly than in the arcane goings-on in Westminster. When the Roman Emperors got into trouble they laid on bigger circuses to keep the mob happy and compliant. Or declared war on some god-forsaken tribe on the fringe of the empire. Plus ca change...