[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
unpaid work placements in care homes. i was right. - Carers UK Forum

unpaid work placements in care homes. i was right.

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Article in guardian this week. fourth paragragh down. I remember discussing this on a thread on here some time ago and i said this would happen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... NTCMP=SRCH
Unbelievable!
I am a bit lost for words, firstly by the fact that someone could just be placed in a care home to gain 'experience' , secondly by the fact that this company gets paid to find people jobs! ( I know they have to hold down the job for 2 years, but still...) Surely that is defeating the object of the government saving money? I just don't get it.
Another thought, if someone was to do a stint in a care home, surely they would need some form of training/supervision, would this not put added pressure on the home and staff?
Not to mention the stress caused to the elderly if the trainee isn't up to the job.
Nope, not getting it.
That was depressing reading Image

I might have this wrong but isn't 2 years the magic number when you gain employment rights?
Diva,
I also remember discussing 'unpaid work placements' and the wider issue of "Human Rights" - well here's a victory that should send a warning to all those private businesses and charities using 'slave labour'.

"Cait Reilly, a 22-year-old geology graduate, brought her case against the Department for Work and Pensions, saying she was made to work in her local Poundland store branch for three weeks without pay."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... placements
The two years is a proxy figure which represents the amount that the State saves in benefit payments to the individual, it, theoretically, comes out of the reduction in the cost of unemployment to the DWP budget.

I am sure that we have all met paid care workers who do the job, not out of choice, but do it because it is the only employment available to them or which fits in with their particular circumstances, they stick out from care workers who enjoy the work and are committed to their clients and their welfare. Caring for people who are often vulnerable and have no other human interaction really should not be something which people take on or are made to do if they are not interested in and committed to this type of employment, it is no-one's interests least of all the client's.
Caring for people who are often vulnerable and have no other human interaction really should not be something which people take on or are made to do if they are not interested in and committed to this type of employment, it is no-one's interests least of all the client's.
well said
Caring for people who are often vulnerable and have no other human interaction really should not be something which people take on or are made to do if they are not interested in and committed to this type of employment, it is no-one's interests least of all the client's.
well said
Yes, recruitment and low pay has been a perennial problem in the NHS, social services and the private and voluntary care sector, and also in child-care. How bizarre that we pay bankers millions of pounds a year to look after our savings, whilst we pay care workers £5 an hour to look after our loved and dear ones!
Bizarre is right. But actually, the companies really don't understand the government's thinking. Many workers - especially in the current climate - don't actually stay in work in the same job for two years...so all the risk lies with the companies and charities. Something of a mug's game, frankly.
H L Mencke - "The central belief of every moron is that he is the victim of a mysterious conspiracy against his common rights and true desserts. He ascribes all his failure to get on in the world, all of his congenital incapacity and damfoolishness, to the machinations of werewolves assembled in Wall Street, or some other such den of infamy."quote]

Charles, I hate to tell you this, but a "dessert" is a pudding!

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/just-deserts.html
Meaning

That which is deserved. A reward for what has been done - good or bad.

Origin

Deserts, in the sense of 'things deserved' has been used in English since at least the 13th century. A citation in which it is linked with 'just' comes from 1599, in Warning Faire Women]
Oh sh*t, last time I corrected someones spad belling on here it took four years, twenty burned websites, and a lot of threats of litigation to resolve v Image Image Image Image
Although I took the quote exactly as written, Scally, it probably helped that I was thinking about puddings at the time. Image Image Image

But I'll remove it and find an easier one. Don't want anyone thinking I'm writing about them... Image