[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Universal credit - Ian Duncan Smith - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

Universal credit - Ian Duncan Smith

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Parsifal-re.DLA and winter fuel payments-I had a four page reply from the DWP echoing what M Eagle stated.Increasingly-Government and local authorities are encouraging the view to receivers and the general public that it is only meant for p/c and mobility needs -the cynical ones amongst us believe this to be a way of increasing charges/removing allowances if they can possibly argue that this need is met (mobility component in residential homes)-and engendering the view that if it is not spent on these things it is not needed or not "targetted"-the Government proposals re. DLA is full of such phrases-they are trying to redefine DLA away from its original purpose and it stinks.
the only disability benefits we get are the constant attendance allowance worth about £300 per month the mobility supplement is used for the motability finance car + my carers allowance .. all other pensions are not to help with care , but are in place to help the war pensioner as they generally have a lower standard of employment, and many need financial help with day to day expenses ...if we used the disability benfits for respite care we would have to save up for 3/4 months for just one weeks respite care , but it is the same old argument, why should she pay for me to have a rest , do the state not owe me some respite ....
You might also ask, George, why my higher income, including my occupational pension, as well as my husband's is taken into account when determining how much he should pay for care services, including respite care, and the answer is because that is the way it is and if you need it badly enough you will pay for it, the full cost if necessary as we recently did when my husband needed another week in respite care. And if you look you will find extremely good care homes providing respite care for around £500 a week.

We can all go on about how unfair life is or we can get on with it and make the most of it, including what we currently have, I have never received CA and my DLA is at risk under the proposals to replace it with PIP, this would mean that, as with other disabled carers, neither my disability nor my caring role, which is demanding and made more difficult because of my disability, would be acknowledged nor the additional costs of either met, tough, life is too short for feeling sorry for myself, if and when it happens I will have to deal with it just as everyone else in the same situation will have to.
sorry, but why are we fighting for benefits and help ... if we all just accept what is offered to us nothing will change, we have to fight, and demand for what we believe we should be entitled to.. if not what do we do just role over and die ..i am also ill with cardio vascular , diabetes & arthritis problems shhh also depression but we dont talk about that as it`s an unseen illness, and the state say it may not even exist .. it`s to late for us to get what financial help we deserve , but we must try and set in place a decent standard of benefits for future carers ..... unless of course the 6 million become Camerons volunteers ... i still believe if we dont get the financial help we need many families will think twice about becoming carers ....
sorry, but why are we fighting for benefits and help ... if we all just accept what is offered to us nothing will change, we have to fight, and demand for what we believe we should be entitled to.. if not what do we do just role over and die ..
Agreed. And as an adult of working age first, and a carer second, I believe I am entitled to go out to work. I will fight for the support my son needs to make that possible, or pay for it out of my own pocket if needs must, and nothing anyone says will ever change that.
sorry, but why are we fighting for benefits and help ... if we all just accept what is offered to us nothing will change, we have to fight, and demand for what we believe we should be entitled to.. if not what do we do just role over and die ...
We do fight, I fight for my husband to get what he needs and deserves, I have also contributed to campaigning for a better deal for carers when I had more time, but I also have the sense to accept that some things are not possible in today's society so I concentrate on fighting for what is possible within the constraints. What I do not do is obsess about the things which I cannot change, making the most of the positives rather than concentrating on the negatives makes for a much happier life not only for us but also for the people we care for and those who know us.
Of course we fight, all of us, every day. it wears us down, wears us out and makes us depressed, but we STILL get back up and fight! Very, very few of us roll over and die, many more of us say we can't do campaigning any more, but every one of us stands up and fights for our carees, for their and our right to a decent life.
Which, when you look at it, means the battle is being fought, maybe in millions of 'little' skirmishes, but be in no doubt, it IS a battle!
whats wrong in constanly asking for an increase in the carers allowance, and free respite care for all carers ....if we dont ask and ask and ask again, those in power will be very happy if we just accept our lot .....
Of course we fight, all of us, every day. it wears us down, wears us out and makes us depressed, but we STILL get back up and fight! Very, very few of us roll over and die, many more of us say we can't do campaigning any more, but every one of us stands up and fights for our carees, for their and our right to a decent life.
Which, when you look at it, means the battle is being fought, maybe in millions of 'little' skirmishes, but be in no doubt, it IS a battle!
Absolutely Myrtle, I spend so much time advocating and fighting one battle after another it's a wonder there is any time left for caring at all.
Vicky
Isn't it great when you get a result though. I am feeling a bit smug today as at long last our LA are seeing things my way and have made big steps and a huge turnaround in their attitude to care for LD . I have been harping on for ages about their institutional services.