[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ELDERLY BENEFITS TO BE CUT FROM THE WEALTHY - Carers UK Forum

ELDERLY BENEFITS TO BE CUT FROM THE WEALTHY

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
SICK Nick Clegg is understood to want to see the winter payments and free TV licences cut for all but the poorest pensioners.

The row over providing benefits such as winter fuel payments and free bus passes for better-off pensioners has split the very top of the coalition government, with deputy prime minister Nick Clegg telling colleagues he would be happy to see them dramatically cut.

The Liberal Democrat leader's intervention comes after reports on Wednesday that the work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith is pressing for cuts to the £5bn bill for elderly benefits, which also include free TV licences and prescriptions

CAN I ASK SICK NICK JUST WHO ARE THE WEALTHY PENSIONERS ..ARE THEY HOME OWNERS WITH SAVINGS OR ARE THE SOMEONE LIKE MY MOTHER WHO DOES NOT OWN A HOME HAS NO SAVINGS BUT HAS A WAR WIDOWS PENSION PLUS A WAR DISABLEDMENT PENSION AND A REDUCED STATE PENSION ....WILL SHE HAVE TO LOSE OUT ????
George, what Nick Clegg says rarely if ever amounts to any serious policy.

I suggest you keep an eye on Ian Duncan Smith for greater clarity.
Better-off older people (many of whom are actually still working by choice) dont use their bus passes much if at all, they mostly drive cars. Actually most better-off pensioners cant even be bothered to fill out the paperwork at their local post office to get a bus pass they dont need. Its sad, but true: cars get there quicker and you get to choose which radio station you listen to.

And "wealthy" is a very relative concept: the vast majority of our UK pensioners have far more income than the vast majority of people living on the planet, many of whom are living in very diminished material circumstances. Most UK pensioners spend more (by choice) on their satellite TV and broadband connections than on their TV license. By any historical standards, they are far better off than any previous generation of retired people.

How many times have you used the bus in the last year, George? How many times has the Old Doll? I rest my case. And actually, sometimes I think "you protesteth too much!"
sadly due to the old dolls disabilities we cant use the bus but would love to, how happy we would be to be disability free and to be able to use public transport ....we have to use a car which costs us £240 per month ( the total war pensioners mobility supplement ) plus £130 per month for fuel without the support of motability we would be housebound ...but that would probably please the likes of you ............could you inform one and all just what the weekly income should be that makes someone wealthy is it £150 , £300 ..or is it the assets they have savings/ home owners ... come on tell us...the old doll does not have a bus pass as she would be unable to use it and i`m to young even though i`m 60 cant get it till i`m 61 and 4 months...like many others i dont just protest for myself but for others and fully support the retention of all universal benefits for the over 60`s including free prescriptions ..which will be stopped soon if the likes of I.D.S. gets his way.......
this is no different to the cuts on family allowance,if you can afford to give your kids the family allowance as spending money you shouldn't get it,why because your over 60 with loads of money get free bus passes and some of your gas/electric paid,it will then enable the money saved to help those that need it,theres loads of genuine people out there that are in fuel poverty and work,1 way is to give working tax credit to people who take low paid jobs,even though they don't fit the current criteria,to make it worth there while working and give an adequate life style.
The family allowance ie child benefit will still be paid to "poor" families who have an income of over £42-000 per year and this was said by an M.P. some time ago "poor families " earning £42-000 per year need not worry they will still be entitled to recieve the child benefit ....if they do remove the bus pass, t.v. licence , winter fuel allowance lets use the same income level as the "poor" familes who will continue to receive child benefit ie £42-000 per year...one thing i will say is the universal benefits should be paid to those who are pensioners that is over the retirement age and in receipt of a state pension and not to those over the age of 60 like me.....and by the wau whenever the government SAVE money through the cuts not one penny will go to those who need it it is uesd to fund tax breaks for the wealthy ( pensioners ) and to reduce the deficit and support the banks .....over 20 billion £`s have been saved /cut from the welfare budget tell me how much of that has gone to those who really need it....
for a start the income tax threshold has risen,i have also seen a rise in child tax credit and working tax credit amounts over the years,i know the government has some mad cap ideas but they do help the poorer families who want to help themselves,i'm sure the 42k figure has to be that because of taking in to account the cost of living in london,£807 per week is alot of money for me living in immingham when my house is worth £100000(3 bed semi with extension) but the 55k terraced house in grimsby would be worth 500k in london a bit of a difference on the cost of living front we thinks,i have also had a £30k grant to enable a disabled extension to aid quality of life,so i'm sure the money will go to those that need it.
get real mate ..the £42-000 level before they lose child benefit has nowt to do with living in London it is nationwide ..the tax threshold was frozen for pensioners , many are now £35 per week worse off due to changes to working tax credits , and the cap on benefits in London will see some 20-000 families having to move into cheaper private rented housing .this coalition has done not one thing to help and suport financialy the poorest members of society..jog my memory name 4 things they have done to help and support the poorest/ most vulnerable within the U.K. ...............................C.P.I. REPLACED THE R.P.I. wages frozen for public sector workers , raised the retirement age , child benefit frozen,winter fuel allowance cut, disability benefits removed from children who reach the age of 16/18 worth about £25 per week , due to a freeze on council tax councils have to increase the costs of care at home and residential care for the elderly disabled, V.A.T. raised + fuel duty ,the disabled being declared fit for work and moved to a lower benefit , the pasty tax , the caravan tax now UTURNED and on and on and on.............carers who claim other benefits such as I.S. being placed within the new universal credit benefit but still req to work for 35 hours per week yet the unemployed will recieve about £15 per week more then a carer both on the same benefit ..carers like myself who have a small private pension will be placed outside the universal credit with out the ability to access other benefits ..so much for helping those who have given up so much to care for a family member .....the government said they would end the something for nothing culture and would reward those who have given something for nothing ......still waiting .................
Who are the poor? Most are in work – repeat that three times, for you will hear no ministers say it. Only 4% are addicts. Most are poor because their wages are so low. Labour's solution was tax credits, topping up incomes to make sure work was always worthwhile. Recent cuts knock people back into poverty, with £4,000 cut from families on £17,000, unless they can up their hours to at least 24 a week: 1.4m part-timers desperately seek full-time work. Ministers boast of whipping people into work with mandatory work experience, airbrushing out the lack of jobs. Claims of falling unemployment disguise the drop in full-time work: growth is all part-time jobs.
should i stop protesting as one tory M.P. said war widows and war disabled will be exempt from the cuts ??????