[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Transcript of Downing Street Webchat on cold weather - Carers UK Forum

Transcript of Downing Street Webchat on cold weather

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Downing Street webchat on Government support in cold weather with Work and Pensions Minister, Helen Goodman - 10am, 8 January, 2010

Helen Goodman, Minister for Work and Pensions, took questions on Government support during the extreme weather conditions. A number of carers attended the webchat and had their questions answered by the Minister.

Full transcript:
http://www.carers.org/news/do-you-quali ... 01,NW.html

Sam_B
Pity no one challenged the statement about using DLA to pay for heating. It's ridiculous that the money is supposed to pay for everything related to disability AND extra heating. The way the minister spoke, the DLA is solely available for heating costs. What a cop-out!
I'm not sure this counts as a "straight" answer either Image
stuart sleigh]will carers get the cold weather payment[/b], i`m 37 so don`t get pension credit or income-related Employment and Support Allowance. on the radio a press officer said income support is covered but local centre said it`s not

Helen replies: Stuart,
Some recipients of Income Support do get the Cold Weather Payments. For example, if you have a disability premium, a disabled child or a child under 5 you will get help. We don't have enough of your details to give you a precise answer but if you ring the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 88 2200, you can check you are getting all you are entitled to.
True, Matt.

At the end of the day it isn't the carer who gets the disability premium - unless the carer is disabled in their own right. So mega cop out there.

The minister only mentioned DLA because pensioners getting AA already get help through being pensioners - and clearly the minister and other politicians forget that some pensioners actually get DLA. And still get the winter fuel allowance. So why not those on DLA but of working age????
I use my sons DLA for all kinds of things that will benefit him, including replacing breakages, ski wear, concert tickets, you name it. Thats the beauty of it - it is a notional and unconditional cash benefit unlike some of the other help available. Sure, use it for fuel costs too, why not - it isnt restricted. We just put it in with the household costs, it doesnt have to be accounted for penny by penny so why worry about it?
But that is the point, isn't it?

If you already use the money, you can't spend it twice - unlike government! Image
A.A. & D.L.A. is for many things in fact it`s for whatever will make the disabled persons life more "normal" and heating and cooling is what the allowance is for we use heating just like every one else but the old doll needs to be kept warm like most elderly people and in the summer she has a colling fan which is on non stop during the day/ night the allowance is one of the good non means tested allowances ever provided by the government .
What gets me so annoyed is the government ministers are now telling the elderly to use their D.L.A. & A.A. to heat their homes yet when they talk about the removal of the said benefits it`s all about health care .
When the elderly who have A.A. start to pass away their A.A. is lost if A.A. is no longer available to new claimants how will the health care be funded i am sure that many elderly will not apply for A.A. if they dont get a cash payment even D.L.A. may be lost at source people dont claim for help but will claim for cash benefits ......many will be happy just to sit at home as they dont want social services care via local authority......
i used the carers allowance for heaing and electric- the DLA is used for essentials and treats if there isnt anything else needed-
At the moment its being used for home improvements- not alot needs doing but id rather put it to a really good use that i can SEE . I am going to get amy a waterproof matress at some point but the OT has told me to wait a bit to see if she can either get one or find me cheaper
The minister only mentioned DLA because pensioners getting AA already get help through being pensioners - and clearly the minister and other politicians forget that some pensioners actually get DLA.
So, if disabled people under pension age are told their DLA is to be used for extra heating why are the pensioners in receipt of DLA not told the same thing?
If the government says DLA's for heating cost then that should be across all claimants regardless of age - shouldn't it? Image

marie x
That's why I mentioned it, Marie - it shows just how out of touch they are and effectively breaks down their argument. Because then the only reason for discriminating against disabled people of working age is literally that - their age...