[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
todays question ???? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

todays question ????

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Hi Daylily. It's true that the good old "eligibility criteria" seem to be getting in the way of a lot of people accessing help. And charges for services are going through the roof, which then makes it more difficult for carers to get the support they need.

It's important to get advocacy: it's a legal right and can help make sure your rights are upheld and your viewpoint is heard.
As a fairly new member, I have followed this thread with great interest and I note that it's suggested once again that carers should solve their own problems by basically obtaining 'advocacy' to ensure their views are heard - isn't it time carers' organisations were doing more on this front?
Most of the carers' groups I have been involved with over the years are keen to help with counselling and advice - which is a great help, admittedly - but have become so well integrated with the NHS and Social Work departments that they don't want to upset the apple cart by being too 'political'.
Hi Caring42 and welcome aboard. It's hard to get independent advocacy sometimes, especially for carers. I'm a carer and work for a carers centre that does provide independent advocacy, but I'm aware that not all carers projects do, or are able to get funding to do it.

Especially these days there needs to be more advocacy available.
same with people who have disabilities and need advocacy.My son needed it at one point,and though the advocate supported him well,halfway through the process he told me he had been warned off by the council,with an underlying threat of withdrawal of funding.He still helped,but could not do it officially.(This was before I found the forum, otherwise I would have asked advice here, there is usually someone who underdstands a difficult situation and can give pointers in the right direction.)
hi ,i do not think my comment was personal ,but i have been feeling very low and depressed for the last week or two ,that might account for it .
i would like to ask ,if i go out to work what is going to happen to mal during the day ,because they are closing all the day centers .
and what about the weekends ,if i work during the week there is no way i am staying indoors to look after mal .
my last job was a motorcycle courier ,which is not a 9 to 5 job .
so much for me . what about everyone else?
tis the old argument work and care ..for me it cant be done unless you have family friends who are able to support you but for many who may face care during the night as i do it aint heavy end care but i do have less sleep then most how can you then put in a good shift- when i was working i faced a legal problem ..as a senior overhead linesman i was under the H.V & L.V + track side safety law and just ny signing on for a shift i had to declare that i was free from drink / drugs and was capable of providing permits to work safely ...over the years lack of sleep was a problem and at the time working constant night shift it was very complicated ..my employers tyne wear metro did understand and i was able to get plenty of time off ..and was allowed 6 weeks on full pay to make my mind up stay or go .....decided to go.......
George, over 3 million carers work and care. It can be done, but it's not easy and there will be times when someone has to face a choice between work and care. I've chosen both ways at different times.

But I well remember the nights when - if I was lucky - I got a solid 3 hours or so (no more than 4) before going to work. Did it for 9 years. You get used to it - and that's the scary part of it. Even now, it's rare I get more than 6 hours and more often than not it's around 4. I'm used to it now.

Nominally my job is 9 to 5 Monday to Friday, but I'm usually at work before 7.30am and work at weekends and some evenings when needed. Now Mike doesn't live with us, it's a working pattern I can live with more easily: there's a lot less home stress than there was.
Charles, it can be done given the right set of circumstances, we are reminded many times on this forum that every carer is different, anything that suggests carers can or cannot work is just a sweeping statement which will be no more than total nonsense to as many people as a truth to others.
Vicky
That was my point, Vicky. 18 years ago I had to stop work for a number of reasons around my health and the caring situation we were in at the time (multiple) that was putting enormous pressure on me.

About 12 1/2 years ago, our situation changed enough to allow me to go back to work. It was no picnic.