Granada Reports

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Hi, i don't post on forums very often as i am not a very talkative person due to me having social anxiety disorder but when i watched Granada Reports last night it made my blood boil and i felt i had to share it with you.

http://www.itv.com/granada/trapped-by-benefits84926/

This woman is on disability benefits and is on tv claiming that the benefit system is too generous!!
I care for my wife who is a wheelchair user, my wife is on DLA and i claim carers allowance and we just about get by and i know that there are thousands of disabled people and carers on benefits who struggle to make ends meet and yet here is someone complaining they get too much.
What message does send out? This report will just make people think that disabled people get loads of money from their benefits and that benefits should be cut even more, when in reality its the exact opposite.
Blimey- I have probs with some of my joints- never considered claiming benefits though. That lady must have been a plant by the government. I know people like her- they always have some excuse even though there are other people in the same boat who do go out to work . I was once seen by DWP employee who herself was markedly disabled and I know had a family. The woman on the box didn't even look after her kids at weekends. You've got to hand it to these people for their chutzpah Image Image Image
Surely you cannot get a motability car on Incapacity Benefit?

I'm a bit concerned about the accuracy of that report to be honest, they refer to the car as 'free' well if she is getting a motability car, it is not 'free' you have to forgo your motability entitlement.

If she's whinging about getting too much perhaps she should give it back or give it to someone more needy.

The report stated it encourage "job-seekers to stay out of work", you cannot compare someone on JSA to someone on DLA with 4 kids Image. It doesn't add up

The benefits breakdown states she gets around £800 p/m IS, £242 p/m CTC, no figure for Incapacity benefit, £507 HB p/m, £110 p/m Council tax. overall that amounts to a ball-park figure of about £1600-£1700 per month in benefits which works out at just under £20k meaning that she is receiving £17-£18k in other benefits.

Maybe I've worked it out wrong but I think that report is a load of codswallop. If you're concerned about the report making it look like disabled people are getting a lot of money you will see it makes little reference to DLA more so on other benefits relating to the children.
Theres been plenty of comments about this on the facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/granadareports
Hi Alex

I totally agree with you also even if you get DLA you don't get a petrol allowance as she said she got.

It was unbelievable but why say she as tried in the last 10 years to get back to work if she had wanted to i believe she could have and no mention of a husband or partner and that youngest one was only a few months old.

John
what's the petrol allowance for?
She also suffers from extreme dimness as surely now she will be first in the queue for an assessment Image
The things people do to get on the telly, eh?
Vicky
Hi Alex

I totally agree with you also even if you get DLA you don't get a petrol allowance as she said she got.

It was unbelievable but why say she as tried in the last 10 years to get back to work if she had wanted to i believe she could have and no mention of a husband or partner and that youngest one was only a few months old.

John
Exactly John, in fact you are limited in the mileage that you can do in your motability car, I think it is 60,000 miles over 3 years.

Personally the report is a load of tosh. Boo to Granada for actually believing that.
They may have included grants and allowances handed out by social services and education depts. I know parents who know how to milk these depts for everything.
She is in the Daily Mail today looking in fine fettle yet again, how did this woman get High rate DLA?
She is doing a course where at the end she will set herself up in business so now wants to kick the support away from everyone else many of whom are severely disabled, all the usual 4 kids 3 different fathers, no wonder so many think everyone is shyster.
Vicky
The link to the Daily Mail story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-pay.html

It appears that, that having lived at the taxpayers' expense, now that this woman hopes to become a taxpayer herself she does not want to pay to support those who are reliant, as she has been for so long, on benefits out of her taxes.