[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Three little words – ‘Tax Payers Money’ - Carers UK Forum

Three little words – ‘Tax Payers Money’

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
I know Taxpayers is actually one word but Pat is blind and when she speaks to Jane ( name of her pc ) it does it as 2 seperate words.

Three little words – ‘Tax Payers Money’
Blog piece by Pat Onions

There is a word or three I loathe.

More than the Employment Support Allowance.

More than the Work Capability Assessment and probably more than the Personal Independent Payment.

‘Tax Payers Money.’

I have been listening to Ms Miller talking about the new PIP. She sounded quite nice and chatty. Of course they will continue to pay £40 million to those disabled. Good. She then used those words… from ‘Tax Payers Money.‘

It is a move to stir up the people of this country. She could just say the amount which will be paid. Why add those 3 words at the end?

Effect of course is to make me feel worthless and useless. The effect is to let the ordinary man or woman, who works and pays tax, where their deductions are going. I too am ordinary but I can’t use the library, drive on the roads or play ping-pong at the leisure centre. That of course is totally different. It always is when it comes to those of us with a disability.

Ordinary men, and women, would have no idea if they weren’t reminded at every verse end. They would sit at home watching another reality show on their 40″ Plasma screen. They’re probably not wondering too much where all the tax they pay each month is being spent. It is the duty of politician, newspaper and television reporters to tell them. And they do. Constantly. All the time and endlessly.

Like many others I did work. I did pay my taxes and did pay my NI. I still pay taxes on everything I eat, drink, sit on or sleep in. I don’t think the air that I breathe comes ‘from Tax Payers Money’ but I wouldn’t put any money on it.

When you are poorly and hurting…say with an abscess and extreme toothache…. you don’t want some smart Alec telling you that your dentist isn’t funded from ‘Tax payers Money’ anymore. You don’t want to hear that you have to dig deep in your pocket for some painkillers. You want support and help. Oh dear…. perhaps involving the NHS as an example is not such a good idea.

I get reminded that I have languished for more than 10 years on benefits. Benefits paid from ‘Tax Payers Money’. I haven’t actually languished at all. I have a rare, irreversible, hereditary condition. Proper experts diagnosed me, not a nurse playing at being an ophthalmic consultant with years of training & experience. The consultant recognised my disability and knew I would not be able to work. Nothing in society or the work place has changed in all those years to enable me to work. So why oh why do Politicians believe it has?

They can beat me with sticks; tell me if I don’t work I lose my benefits. It makes not one jot of difference to my disability. It is unchanged and always will be.

By taking my ‘Tax Payers Money’ from me it will mean I don’t eat, clothe myself and lose the roof over my head. They can assess me; reassess me as many times as they decide. I have no eyes, and no matter how many assessments, those eyes will never grow back and see again. Somehow Politicians seem to think they have a magic power to make them work…after all ‘Work Pays.’

Pat Onions
Pat is articulate and has a huge internet following. With a unique voice like hers, all she needs is a decent agent and she could earn some good money. Many people are making good money from web journalism and blogging these days, and I have run the odd column myself under a nom-de-plume, so I know there is good money to be made out there. So in some ways, she is sort of damned if she does, and damned if she doesnt.

You know, there are carers out there who also rabbit on and on about caring, saying that you cant be a real carer and still work, and yet, I am one of at least 3 million carers who not only works for a living, but has found a new career in my mid fifties earning good money and in a job that fits in around my caring role. So, dont tell me why you cant work as if that were tablets of stone, rather dare to tell me what your dream job is: and the rest is normally a simple matter of putting one foot in front of the other. Dont look at me, look at Susan Boyle: a woman from a village not that far from mine, who was both a carer and also has a learning disability: if she can do it, so can anyone.
Scally, on hte other hand there are people like me...whose job would have to include leaving on a moments notice and having unspecified times of to see to one of 2 disabled kids in hospital. Leaving work at lunch time to make sure I got the 4 buses home in time for 3pm when 1 of my kids gets home. then of course I would not start until about 11am at I would have to get those same 4 buses to work. I would miss the 8:30 am bus as youngest would still be at home waiting for his disability transport. The earlies I could get is 9:30...so Scally some of us cannot be carers and work. And no there are no childcare places in the back of beyond (where I live) and certainly no carers insured and qualified to look after 2 disabled children...nor could I afford them on the basic stating wage I would have to accept as my various school qualifications are no longer worth anything!

As you can see, it is NOT always as simple as putting one foot in front of the other!
I totally agree with Pat Onions, well said.
I very much disagree with this focus people put on tax. Saying "I've paid my taxes" as if it's a virtue, but I do wonder, if someone said to them that it was now legal for them not to pay tax and to have that extra money, how many people would decline it? If they won the lottery would they then put a large share of it towards tax because it's such a noble thing to do? Truth is, lots of people work because they need the money, tax is just an addition to that. I don't think many people at all work so that they get to pay taxes.
Sorry, off on a bit of a rant. Point is, I agree with Pat Onions and feel that phrases such as "Tax payers money" just reinforce the negative views people have of anyone on benefits.

I also have to disagree with Scally. Although I don't know the details of Susan Boyle's life, I don't think it automatically stands that because she can do it, so can anyone. Every situation is different and I don't think broad statements like that help. I could give a few examples from my life.
They are refering to Income tax payers and there are two lots of people who don't pay it. Those of us who are too poor and those who are rich enough to be able to avoid it.
Everyone pays tax, income tax, VAT, death duties, petrol, tobacco and alcohol duties, corporation tax, whatever. Yes, the rich pay less tax as a % of their income than middle earners, and that is wrong.
But, all these services are funded by us, and I find that empowering.

We the voters own and run this country, we and only we decide who will be the next government. And, as a Scottish Green, I can tell you that the next government might even be a Green government, if enough people join the party, campaign and vote for it. If a black man can become US President, then anything is possible. The future is potentially much more interesting than we give it credit for, you can either scoff and sneer, or you can be part of the future!
Everyone pays tax, income tax, VAT, death duties, petrol, tobacco and alcohol duties, corporation tax, whatever. Yes, the rich pay less tax as a % of their income than middle earners, and that is wrong.
But, all these services are funded by us, and I find that empowering.

We the voters own and run this country, we and only we decide who will be the next government. And, as a Scottish Green, I can tell you that the next government might even be a Green government, if enough people join the party, campaign and vote for it. If a black man can become US President, then anything is possible. The future is potentially much more interesting than we give it credit for, you can either scoff and sneer, or you can be part of the future!

And that a was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Scottish Green Party Image
Not really, it was trying to make the point that all kinds of magical things are actually possible if only we can shake off the prevailing cynicism and just follow a whimsy to see where it goes! I was watching "Grand Designs" tonight, a fine stonemason converting a ruined Cornish stone engine tower into a home, and, yes, it cost rather more than the plan, and took four times as long as the plan, but he still got there in the end. If we are too practical and realistic, we miss out on so many opportunities to live the dream, don't we?
I do not know about anyone else but it is so long since I had time to dream that I have forgotten what the dream was and I am not at all convinced that voting for the Green Party, or any other party for that matter, will remind me Image .