[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Telecare - carers' experiences - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Telecare - carers' experiences

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
no amount of technology can provide the care our loved ones need and deserve stop wasting money and give us carers more funding to get us out of the depressing demoralising conditions we live in. With support and better financil help we can give far better care than any amount of technology can ever provide.
Its about time those from above opened there eyes and give us whats needed Image
I agree with what most people have said about this telecare, and if our representatives agrre with the government about there use and force carers to desert there carers to go to work which is all the government are interested in then I can forsee carees being left to die
Technology has its place Tony but I don't believe it can take the place of a person.

And if carers were forced to use it, you're right - it would probably cost lives.

But even if we ignored that (not that we should - one life is too high a price to pay), where is the quality?

Too many elderly people are isolated and alone. They receive a weekly or fortnightly visit to dump off their meals for the week/fortnight and see nobody until the next visit. Telecare cannot replace human contact - something we all need. The council chiefs seem to forget this. I think they grew up with "never mind the quality, feel the width."
At it's most simple, the use of smoke detectors and automated alarms gives reassurance that at the slightly dotty end of the senility spectrum a fire, flood or other hazard will be identified and responded to promptly.
The use of neck-pendants and similar communications devices to warn of falls is now widespread and reassuring to carers who might live at some considerable distance from their carees.
Many older people do not want to live with their family - they value their independence and their families take great comfort in these devices.
I think we need to take into account the wide range of caring situations and choices - some of the previous responses to this question are unrepresentative.
My son is 13 and I am now considering giving him a mobile phone so that he can contact us when required - this will increase his independence and self-esteem for example by using public transport on his own. In the right place, telecoms can be a huge benefit.
Trouble is, Excalibur, older people with mild dementia can be confused by an alarm if there is nobody there to support them. They can wander off and nobody knows where they've gone - tracking bracelets are all very well but they are uncomfortable and frankly they are stigmatising. Everyone "knows" that tracking bracelets are used to keep track of criminals...

As I said, telecare has its place but every case is different and it cannot replace the need for human support - only reduce it to allow a short break.
I dont think there would be any harm in older people living alone having say a remote monitor wrist bracelet warning of a change in heart rate or blood sugar levels warning of an impending health crisis - in fact it could prevent people becoming institutionalised or hospitalised. We certainly had a home alerter neck pendant linked to the phone fitted when my father in law was still able to live with us, in case of a fall - we were both out at work so couldn't monitor his condition all the time. I think these things can - and do - save lives. Its not just about saving money, though speaking as a taxpayer that isnt a bad thing either - its about preserving independence and dignity.
yes you are right in some circumstances techmology is an advantage my son who is on the lower end on the autistic spectrum can now go out with his mobile phone to be in contact and has his mp3 for background noise to drown out noise he doesn't like but in rehgards to an elderly caree being left home with a device around there neck ect doesn't work my mum was very forgetful after her strokes and as we have inlaws living with us it was impossible to have her here. But more than once she spent the night on the floor as she didnt have her alarm around her neck because she forgot she couldnrt work anything like a mobile phone in these cases technology doesnt replace the carer
Rachel x
As the fire chief commented when they were automatically called to our neighbours "wired up" home for the umpteenth false alarm "its a good way of doing our fire drills for the month"...

NOT very good if someone else REALLY needs the fire engines!

ian

btw the LA picks up the callout fee from the brigade every time that happens....recycling tax payers money no doubt...
Thanks for all your responses and comments -the new telecare briefing is now published - we do address carers' concerns as well as the benefits. Hopefully should give carers a good summary of the issues.
http://www.carersuk.org/Getinvolved/Spotlightontelecare

If you sign up to Equal Partners - for free- we'll send you a hard copy.

Let me know what you think/ if you carry out any of the actions we suggest and what impact you have

Thanks
Clare