[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Social Care Costs : Government & LA News / Plans / Actions - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Social Care Costs : Government & LA News / Plans / Actions

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
83 posts
As Vince Cable mentioned on BBC's Question Time ... a post lottery for health.

Cost depends on degree of illness , care needed , and for how long.
I'm surprised the forums are not full of either people worried or angry by the proposed Tory care plan.
I said this to a friend and they stated that the majority are not carers and stuck in a worrying position!
It's basically an inheritance raid.
I think more elderly family members will get dumped, if they need long term care under the new proposals.
At the moment as stated earlier there is a good financial reason to keep carees at home and care for them yourself-namely £23250 plus a house. Take this carrot away and who will build all the new care homes?
To everyone who doesn't know me on here- no I'm not saying I'd dump Dad in a home given the choice but I wouldn't be surprised if some chose that option given that choice.
I to am surprised by the lack of noise and response to this proposal- largely due to the vulnerable being unable to understand the situation or to express their fears.
I've just heard a terrible reporter on the TV using a very badly phrased wording of the propososal - leaving a definite impression that the limit had gone up to £100,000 before care had to be paid for- He obviously didn't have a clue what he was trying to say.
I am losing the will here- where is everybody? This is one of the most important changes in our welfare system probably in the last 20 or 30 years. Mega changes for many people and far reaching consequences. This is a forum for carers, one of the only ones left-why is it so quiet?
Are we all scared of being banned for being political?
I am not left wing by any means but this could be huge for many of us. Wakey wakey.
Sorry I will crawl back into my hole.
In Scotland the free personal care is only for the elderly but they still have to pay what they are calling "hotel costs" - people under pension age still have to pay. As usual they go on and on about pensioners and forget that young adults and children require social care too!

Eun
Henrietta wrote:I am losing the will here- where is everybody? This is one of the most important changes in our welfare system probably in the last 20 or 30 years. Mega changes for many people and far reaching consequences. This is a forum for carers, one of the only ones left-why is it so quiet?
Are we all scared of being banned for being political?
I am not left wing by any means but this could be huge for many of us. Wakey wakey.
Sorry I will crawl back into my hole.
The majority of the newspapers appear to have broadcast the proposed Care Cap negatively, so I don't understand why it is so quiet either. Perhaps, some people just view the proposals as yes we get £100.000.
Imho, it is a worrying policy, but it is only one item in a whole plethora of issues. Should I not vote for one party because I disagree with one of their policies when I disagree with many many more of the other parties policies?
As usual I shall end up looking on the ballot paper for a 'none of the above' box

I also await more details.it seems not fully thought out yet.
Henrietta,
it is a worrying and unfair proposal but at this stage that's all it is. All the parties have manifestos that include positive and negative proposals ... but none have been voted in yet and even if they are, governments change their minds and backtrack. No point fighting just yet, it just might never happen.

Melly1
The 100k that I will have left will help pay for
Winter heating as I will loose that allowance soon. :lol:
BBC website this morning :

Damian Green has said the Tories will not rethink plans to fund social care in England, amid warnings they will go down badly with core Tory voters.

The Work and Pensions Secretary said: "We have set out the policy, which we are not going to look at again."

The Tory manifesto says elderly people requiring care in their own homes would have to meet the cost - but would be allowed to keep £100,000.

But a Tory think tank says it could be the "biggest stealth tax in history".

Four opinion polls for Sunday newspapers suggest that, while the Conservatives retain a big lead, support for Labour has increased over recent weeks.

They put Labour at between 33% and 35%, up significantly on the figures earlier in the campaign, which some polls put as low as 26%.

The Conservative policy to address the funding gap in social care prompted a warning from John Stanley, of the Bow Group think tank, that "the impact on the core vote will be awful".
'Wildly uneven'

But Mr Green told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show that setting a £72,000 cap on care costs funded privately - as recommended by a government advisor - "meant that the distribution of the benefits became wildly uneven".

"It's got to work for everyone, not just in Ashford and Twickenham, but also in Hartlepool and in north Wales and in Scotland and so on. Allowing everyone to know that there is this flat figure of £100,000 is fair to everyone."

Asked if the party might look again at the policy, Mr Green said: "No. What we said in the manifesto - to put that 'no' in context - is that we have set out this policy, which we are not going to look at again; there will be a green paper covering both social care and health coming out in the summer.

"We all know that the long-term solution to the social care crisis is better integration of the NHS and social care... this is the first step along that road."

Still , early days ... await the result , and the future green paper !
83 posts