Should family carers be paid? - Guardian article

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
62 posts
Conservative MPs have said the government could save money if it paid families to care for elderly relatives at home, rather than using council services. Is a wage for caring a good idea?

see in full on link below. There is a poll, and you can add comments.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... arers-paid
this could help my argument to get direct payments to care for my wife,she's not elderly but needs my care,i was hoping something would turn up to help,thanks rosemary.
Also in the Telegraph:

State must pay family carers to look after elderly, say MPs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elder ... y-MPs.html

Can add comments here, also
Is it me being cynical or is the timing of this wee info. nugget nicely placed for polling day? Image
I think I've been kicking around the Carer block long enough to question this!
Marie x
What of those of us who care 24/7 for someone who is not elderly - don't we count? What we really need is respite as well as decent money to live on. If they pay us to care 24/7 does that mean we will be entitled to the same perks as others who work in paid jobs? Breaks, sick pay holiday pay etc? Will we paid for the number of hours we do? Or is just another way to do care on the cheap and still expect us to care until we drop?

Eun
Will we paid for the number of hours we do? Or is just another way to do care on the cheap and still expect us to care until we drop?

Eun
I think that's what's known as a rhetorical question, Eun.
86 % say yes yet we have carers uk now talking of carers being unaffordable as the allowance and pensions and other benefits are something the U.K. cant afford ...
86 % say yes yet we have carers uk now talking of carers being unaffordable as the allowance and pensions and other benefits are something the U.K. cant afford ...
I think that you will find that you have wrongly misinterpreted what CUK has said as pointed out elsewhere.
have carers uk accepted or rejected the report ...if they accept the report they must accpet this statement in full ..

Caring can have a significant negative impact on economic activity.

expenditure costs of carers leaving paid work at a staggering £1.3 billion a year,
based on the costs of Carer’s Allowance and lost tax revenues.
The UK cannot afford for this to be the impact of caring.

clear as mud ... i rest my case ..... 1.3 billion peanuts when you see what cares uk say carers save the state each and every year 88 billion??????
We can all selectively quote in order to make our point, this does not mean that the point has any basis in the context of the original document.
62 posts