[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Family carers are abusing their legal powers - Carers UK Forum

Family carers are abusing their legal powers

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Growing numbers of elderly and vulnerable people are having their finances raided by relatives abusing their legal powers, The Independent on Sunday has learnt.

Insurers and lawyers report a rise in the number of clients with mental health problems who have had their bank accounts emptied by greedy relatives who were appointed as deputies and should have been acting in their best interests.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... rnalSearch
There will always be some heartless people - carers or not. And yes, there will be cases such as the type described.

But I am shocked that a newspaper can publish a story like this with so little evidence and write the story in such a way that it suggests that the majority of family carers are doing this!! Image Image Image
'one bad apple'...................unfortunately that's all it takes Image
And sadly the world isn't made up of genuine carers...
Wherever there is money there can be dishonesty.....from expenses fiddled in work places, inc our politicians..the banks, shops etc. Yet as Sue has said..
'one bad apple'
It's the same as everyone on benefits is a scrounger...you can't win.
Interesting.

I do not disagree with any of the posts listed above.

But I also think that some folk have some misConceptions concerning POWER of Attorney or deputyship.
I have a sneaking suspicion that some do not fully understand the responsibilities involved in having any form of Power of Attorney nor understand fully that decisions must always be made with the best interest of the donor as the basis of each and every decision.

It is important to be aware that Power of Attorney can be taken away.

So whilst I agree that wherever money is concerned that there are risks I want to add that the same thing applies to .....power.
There is another side to caring for an elderly person. I know that there are many carers looking after penny pinching carees, who don't understand the current value of money and how much it costs to live. No mention of them then?!
Yes Bowlingbun I agree with you there. I find this area quite difficult with my mother. She has impaired concept of money and thinks it's quite ok for me to take her out (at her request) several times a week. This involves petrol and coffee shop visits so probably comes to at least £30 a week which I pay for. Now some of you may think I'm being mean but this is a long term thing and I no longer work because of circumstances so I have to be a bit careful. She used to help my sister with her children but now she doesn't and thinks £5 for Xmas is generous. My sister also is no longer able to work. We have power of attorney but wouldn't dream of taking money to reimburse us but if we did would that be classed as abusing our powers? I don't know. Last week I genuinely forgot to give my mother change - about 10p - she kept on about it for days and even told the carers. I felt terrible. So these articles have to read with caution - I do not doubt there are ppl who would abuse their position but there are many different people in many different circumstances trying their best.
but there are many different people in many different circumstances trying their best.
well said

x x