[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Shock at new BBC study. - Carers UK Forum

Shock at new BBC study.

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
http://bit.ly/dk8C70
new bbc study reveals that there are possibly 700,000 young carers in UK when in previous years only 175,000 have been recognised!

How did they miss that!!
Its all about the problem of definition, isn't it? But I'm not that surprised, as with all caring constituencies, there is bound to be a wide spectrum. I know a very capable Deaf lady who uses sign language, her hearing children can all communicate using expert BSL, and have acquired potentially very marketable skills as skilled BSL interpreters. A burden, or a future asset? Who can say? It all depends on circumstances, doesn't it?
Of course there are more young carers than the census picked up - their parents filled in the forms!
We are all carers or carees... we enter life helpless and we leave it in a similar state. In the meantime we do our best to get paralytic whenever we can, and thats usually what makes babies. Its called the circle of life. Image Image
Thank you for that last post - it really made me laugh! Image
Of course there are more young carers than the census picked up - their parents filled in the forms!
What do you mean by this?

I'm confused, do you mean the parents filled in the form to make them look like carers or that parents claimed they weren't carers?
We are all carers or carees... we enter life helpless and we leave it in a similar state. In the meantime we do our best to get paralytic whenever we can, and thats usually what makes babies. Its called the circle of life. Image Image
I have NEVER been drunk in my life, even though I enjoy a fine wine or single malt whisky!
sorry if this is not, strictly speaking, related to the original thread
- but- regarding getting paralytic ( have I spelled that correctly?), having the occasional glass of wine or single malt etc. - I think this may be an occupational hazard? I have just said to my very dear husband, as follows:- why does everything we do seem to be such a constant battle? We seem to be fighting on several fronts, not because we are contentious, aggressive, argumentative etc., but because no authority seems to want to be helpful in any shape or form, but prefers to throw obstacles in the way, to make life interesting perhaps? How I long for someone who has at least a modicum of understanding to help in some way....sorry for this ramble....

I'm confused, do you mean the parents filled in the form to make them look like carers or that parents claimed they weren't carers?
Sorry if I confused you. I've been a bit that way lately...

There are more young carers than the census picked up because their parents completed the census form and any combination, one or all of the following:

1. Didn't recognise their own care needs and therefore didn't see that their children are carers
2. Didn't understand the question
3. Didn't want anyone to pick up on the fact that their children care for them in case someone took their kids away
4. Didn't want social services involved at any level and didn't trust the census confidentiality rules

Sorry if I confused you. I've been a bit that way lately...

There are more young carers than the census picked up because their parents completed the census form and any combination, one or all of the following]

Thanks for clearing that up.
The children filled in the form, parents had no say in what went on the form as it was done during school time.