[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
'Put disabled down' councillor Collin Brewer resigns -Carers UK Forum

'Put disabled down' councillor Collin Brewer resigns

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Collin Brewer had told a charity worker at an event that disabled children should be "put down" because they cost the authority too much money.

He made the comments to a Disability Cornwall member at a stall at County Hall in Truro in 2011.

Mr Brewer said it was unlikely he would be a candidate in the May elections. "I was wrong, I admit it," he said.

"I will continue to apologise," he added.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-21612089
David Cameron seems to be of the same mind.!!!
I don't get surprised anymore by this type of thing, not in the slightest.

But I do wonder why we focus on the sensationalist headlines while totally ignoring the bigger picture, perhaps we are too busy being "disgusted and shocked". It seems that way by the posts I reads on FB anyway.

What bothers me is that for Brewer to get into the position he held, his type of viewpoint cannot be secretive and there must be many who knew just what he was like..and yet they still backed him as a councillor.

There is a post elsewhere on the forum entitled "What offends you?" which I have posted on. This is precisely the type of thing that DOES offend me - when people stand by and do nothing to stop a person like this in their tracks but rather elevate their status to a position of power. Those that say and do nothing and who supported him to be a councillor are every bit as guilty as he is and probably share the same views, they are just not foolish enough to say it in public.
Whilst I agree with you, Ladybird, I have to say that we have to challenge people like this when they are stupid enough to speak up...it may teach one or two of the others a lesson or two. You never know...
it is sick would be different if they had a disabled child
A local taxi company had the contract to take my son to his special school. The owner told me one day that she thought the county was wasting it's money on children like this who would never amount to much, it would be much better spent on "normal" children. Unusually, I was too stunned to say anything. A few years later the taxi owner's grand daughter was born - disabled. Then her attititude changed!
A local taxi company had the contract to take my son to his special school. The owner told me one day that she thought the county was wasting it's money on children like this who would never amount to much, it would be much better spent on "normal" children. Unusually, I was too stunned to say anything. A few years later the taxi owner's grand daughter was born - disabled. Then her attititude changed!
Absolutely shameful !! I couldnt have held my tongue to be honest, i certainly wouldnt have used them....disgusting! I bet her attitude changed....ignorant person!
We are all born ignorant. It's also unsurprising that we are also born selfish, as any Mum of a toddler knows. Wisdom usually comes - not from education - but from life's rich experience. Maybe that's just as it should be. Lets give everyone a hug, and try to make recompense, knowing that once upon a time, we were all fairly ignorant and probably picked on the 'dim' or 'fat' or 'slow' kids in the playground, having no better ideas at the time.