[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Question for those in receipt of Direct Payments/Individual - Carers UK Forum

Question for those in receipt of Direct Payments/Individual

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
As you know under DP scheme you do not pay out all of the money you are allocated but need hold some back in case of sickness etc.
Yesterday I was at a ladys' house where herself and 3 others were discussing this.At the end of this financial year,their local council will be refunded in excess of £9,000.The equivalent of 2 months wages is left,anything else the council take back.
Assuming this happens all over the country we are talking big numbers here, money that could provide care to other people.

So, without giving personal details or even giving exact numbers, does anyone here using these schemes refund money back to their council??
Yes, I have had to refund a proportion of the money in the bank at the end of the year. My DPs are paid to me (the carer) as they are supposed to give me a little regular time off and buy help in the house. The kind of sums I have had to refund would have bought live-in care so I could go away for a week, which was my intention. I will have a review soon, so will be talking about this then.
I knew it happened.Family I work for told me a few years ago, but I was shocked at the amounts. All that money lying there that could be spread round to ensure more received help.It might even mean some councils would still pay out for moderate needs.
Its madness.
Because I only get a few hours' worth a week, the sums I build up are not in the thousands - and the biggest reason I wasn't spending it all was that I could not find employees (agency staff really don't do what I want, are not flexible enough). The refunds are only once a year - if it was done more often, but I had found another employee, I might well have been left short to pay them.

If someone is buying in all the care they need, the build-up should not really get beyond an agreed? specified? proportion of what they are paying out. However, judging by the incompetence and lack of understanding of those administering the finance side of DPs here, I suppose the poor darlings could not work that out.
We now have a large and growing sum accumulating in my husband's IB DP account because he no longer has a PA, I had set up some sitting twice a week to give him some company other than mine with a really nice carer from the agency which we are using at the moment for personal care but he is now in hospital so I think that we will be returning a large proportion of the DPs at the end of the financial year. I had been paying the PA's expenses out our own income to optimise the money available for other aspects of the IB but am beginning to regret doing that now. The problem is that in order to set up the contingency fund and also pay the PA you tend to underspend at the beginning of the financial year and then if part of the plan you have set up breaks down you end up with money left over, very difficult to manage without a crystal ball.
I think it's amazing that any of you actually manage to get these payments in the first place. Friend of mine enquired about it and was told 'well you can apply if you want but you won't get anything' - mmmmmmmmm - now there's a good reason not to give councils control over benefits as mentioned in another thread!!!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Friend of mine enquired about it and was told 'well you can apply if you want but you won't get anything'
Tell your friend to apply,to request an assessment.Noone can say.....you wont get anything , until all the facts are known.
Never take notice of other people,always apply and then if you get turned down, there are procedures in place to appeal.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSo ... G_10026286

Carers need a break, and that is why you can apply for a carers
assessment, no matter what you are told, keep asking, say you need
a break, and you may not get the assessment, however they should
offer you an alternative such as direct payments.
Yes, we returned £3000 last year as we didn't have any other worker, our daughter didn't take any holidays so the 6 weeks holiday wages were taken back out our account!
Each year our L.A. check the level and leave the original contingency fund but remove any excess.

marie x
our daughter didn't take any holidays so the 6 weeks holiday wages were taken back out our account!
Marie, I would check with whom ever does your books.Also not sure if same rules apply in Scotland as they do here but a few times my old couple had noone to cover me so I never took any.I have 3 and 1/2 weeks to take before end March. Only taking one,rest I get anyways as it is my holiday money not theirs.