[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Poll: What are your priorities for the election? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Poll: What are your priorities for the election?

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Marie is spot on!
I do feel it's the only real way to sustian caring long term and sadly with a large aged population, long term care needs are only going to increase - gee 'aint that a depressing though!

Well we shall at last see how many unpaid carers’ there are at the next census in 2011. The questions will probably be “do you provide unpaid care help for a relative or friend with a long-term health problem or disability, and how much time do you spend each week providing such care?

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) website published reports and latest information on question development for the 2011 Census in England and Wales.
CUK has published a factsheet on carers aimed at explaining the situation to the media. In it is the following gem:
Eight out of ten carers are of working age, ie aged between 16 and 65. An astonishing 400,000
people in the UK combine full-time work with caring for 20 hours a week or more, of these 200,000 are caring for 50 hours per week or more.
http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaign ... boutcaring - follow the link at the bottom of the page. It makes for very interesting reading.
A lot of carers have difficulty answering the question of what constitutes "caring hours". They might be spent in hard labour, getting up at all hours of the day and night to provide lifting and toileting, or they may be passive hours, simply being there for safety reasons.
The nearest equivalent to this is the old "sleeping over" allowances paid to care workers. I think these may now be illegal under employment law and the minimum wage rules, I'm honestly not sure - does anyone know?
Staff can be paid to sleep in but cannot have worked during the day as well.
Ah, so its the maximum working hours directive that comes into play Charles?
I was just thinking about this, and I actually can claim quite a few hours a week that are both caring hours and also working hours: I partly work from home, so I just multitask. Of course, not everyone would see it that way, but my guess is that the statisticians haven't really got their head around that one yet despite the fact that it is a commonplace scenario. One in ten of us - around 3 million people - work at least partly from home these days, and caring and/or childcare is often a factor in that decision.
That's right, Excalibur - the directive also put an end to live-in wardens in sheltered accommodation.
That's right, Excalibur - the directive also put an end to live-in wardens in sheltered accommodation.
This is a fight that is happening all over the country. Live in wardens are being replaced with mobile ones.However ,at times the new ones can be expected to cover 3/5 seperate places,which in turn can mean a few hundred people.
Personally I think it is a disgrace.