[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Poll: What are your priorities for the election? - Carers UK Forum

Poll: What are your priorities for the election?

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Cutting the deficit? Education? Social care?

Vote here: http://carersblog.wordpress.com/

Sam_B
The priorities for the election???????? are not for us to say. The general public do not make decisions about how ANY future government prioritise. If people want to suggest priorities, then they have to stand for election, be elected and then be a member of whatever party happens to come to power.

Whatever WE think doesn't make an ounce of difference to the way priorities are decided upon.
I know what i want but it`s up to the civil services sad to say ...

every M.P. who fiddled his/her expenses to lose their seat .....
Well that's good, because the MP I used to work for, doesn't mess about with stuff like that, so he'll be fine! Decent guy.
It's the economy (schtoopid!) . It always is, at any election. Never forget, half of all carers are also workers, but they are very vulnerable to the jobs market.
Excalibur Just curious - where do you get the figure from that half of all carers are in paid employment?

Eun
The 2001 census and earlier General Household Surveys show that around 51% of all carers are in some sort of paid employment, Eun.
Yes charles so it did but I doubt they were heavy end caring as I recall the question was a bit open ended and it's possible most of that 51% were people caring for a few hours a week at most. Image
The percentage of people caring for 35, 50 hours or more will be a whole lot less - it has to be doesn't it as you can't easily sustain heavy end caring and full time work can you! Image
What do you think?

marie x
Well, thats quite correct. But obviously some families share the care around too, working shifts to spread the care, as I do with my wife and daughter. And really, if you have to be a carer, that is the ideal situation, isn't it? Again, I have no idea how many carers share the care in this way.
The other thing to bear in mind is that it is a constantly shifting population, and light-end carers may end up as heavy end, or even vice-versa. But there is no formal pecking order - to me all carers are of equal value and we all campaign side by side for better conditions for all.
The other thing to bear in mind is that it is a constantly shifting population, and light-end carers may end up as heavy end, or even vice-versa.
Rob, I honestly feel this is so true!
Usually what starts off as light end with a few hours here and there will usually - not always - mind you! but usually progress to the person needing additional help with care.
Ideally families will share the load but increasingly, it's left to one person to provide the main bulk of care and I think that's when things get very difficult and stressful.

I'm all in favour of getting support services in as I do feel it's the only real way to sustian caring long term and sadly with a large aged population, long term care needs are only going to increase - gee 'aint that a depressing though!
(((hugs)))
marie x