[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Leicester City - Carers UK Forum

Leicester City

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Not official yet but leaked in the local papers that the council will be cutting support to people who abuse drug and alcohol - to the tune of over £1m. If true, this is certain to impact on their carers.
I abuse food. I put too much of the wrong sort in my mouth. Someone else might abuse themselves by smoking,but either of us would be treated by the NHS if we had a heart attack, even though it could be caused by slef abuse.
A motor cyclist who has had several accidents caused by speeding or ignoring road conditons, would be treated for his injuries, again even though he has caused them himself.

We are all human beings, it is so sad when people are looked down on for one form of abuse but not another. We are all fallible(is that the right word?)None of us are perfect.
What a terrible country this is going to be, if councils make these decisions, playing God as they are going along.

Many people who are addicts may just need a helping hand up.
Couldn't agree more.
Drug addicts and alcoholics are always an easy target when central and local government want to cut the cost of benefits and services, the decision-makers conveniently ignore the fact that addiction is often a symptom of underlying mental health or social problems and the general public are mainly unsympathetic to their needs, cutting services in this way in the knowledge that there will be very little public opposition is frequently the forerunner of further cuts to other groups, Pastor Martin Martin Niemöller's famous poem, although written in an entirely different and more terrible context, comes to mind:
Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.

Als sie die Juden holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Jude.

Als sie mich holten,
gab es keinen mehr, der protestierte.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
Of course, Niemoller forgot that the Nazis had already come for the disabled...and they weren't even worth a mention, it seems.
There were several versions, this one above is probably the most commonly quoted but according to research by Harold Marcuse the orginal groups were the Communists, the incurably sick, Jews and people in occupied countries, it is also worth noting that the extermination of the mentally ill, learning disabled and physically disabled by the Nazis has only relatively recently been part of Holocaust Memorial Day remembrance.