[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Would you sell your kidney? - Carers UK Forum

Would you sell your kidney?

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
I don't know if it has come to the attention of you lot south of the Border that Dundee University academic Sue Rabbitt Roff ( do they make these names up?) has proposed that students and other "poor" people should be able to sell thair kidneys to fund their education and pay off their debts. She has been quoted as saying that it is patronising to stop poor people from selling their organs- she also said that she wouldn't have to do it as she is "middle class"! Sounds a bit Marie Antionette to me or maybe she is just plain bonkers Image
Not sure about selling a kidney to pay depts off, but if i had to "buy" one i would, due to Zac only having one kidney..other only works 80%..plus its in his pelvic area all twisted up..( cause lots problems for the first 4 years of his life).

Anyway probley off topic, but nothings is cut and dry.
Roff concludes that `We need to extend our thinking beyond opt in and opt out to looking at how we can make it possible for those who wish to do so can express their autonomy in the same way as current donors are encouraged to do by making available a healthy kidney for a fee that is not exploitative.'
Ms Rabid Toff suggests that £28,000 would be an appropriate fee but as only the desperate poor are likely to risk their future health in such an exchange it is hard to see it as either an entirely autonomous act nor as being anything other than exploitative. And if, in the future, the donor's remaining kidney fails would they be required to return the payment before being entitled to join the transplant list?
The mind reels with sarcastic comments. But frankly this woman is away with the fairies.
It's illegal, and rightly so. There have been some horrible scandals about people in India and Turkey selling their kidneys to pay for dowries, co-ercive donations and so on. Same should apply to blood donations, but a significant element of disease has been imported when the NHS resorted to using imported blood from the USA where donors are paid: drug addicts, prisoners; and human growth hormone stolen from corpses etc ... gruesome stuff indeed.

And then we have the whole issue of "surrogate" pregnancies.. its a murky world we live in.
I don't know if it has come to the attention of you lot south of the Border that Dundee University academic Sue Rabbitt Roff ( do they make these names up?) has proposed that students and other "poor" people should be able to sell thair kidneys to fund their education and pay off their debts. She has been quoted as saying that it is patronising to stop poor people from selling their organs- she also said that she wouldn't have to do it as she is "middle class"! Sounds a bit Marie Antionette to me or maybe she is just plain bonkers Image
They already do this over in the states and have done for decades. To answer your question. No. I have been very very poor in my life during htatcher years, even with ex hubbie working by the time we paid bills we had £17 to spend on food and nappies which should last us a fortnight then...many times nappies were old sheets ripped up and food was a packet of biscuits. I woudl still have never sold a part of me, just in case I would have needed it myself later, but also in case one of my own children needed it. I'm all for charity but I put my kids before anyone else.
Effectively it's an inducement to sell your health. At what cost?
I want to know what price Ms Rabid Tossov would put on her own kidneys... anyway this reminds me of an old joke
In the hospital the relatives gathered in the waiting room, where their family member lay gravely ill.
Finally, the doctor came in looking tired and sombre.
"I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad news," he said as he surveyed the worried faces.

"The only hope left for your loved one at this time is a brain transplant. It's an experimental procedure, very risky but it is the only hope. The NHS will cover the procedure, but you will have to pay for the brain yourselves."

The family members sat silent as they absorbed the news. After a great length of time, someone asked, "Well, how much does a brain cost?"

The doctor quickly responded, "£5,000 for a female brain, and £200 for a male brain."

The moment turned awkward. Women in the room tried not to smile, avoiding eye contact with the men, but some actually smirked.

A man unable to control his curiosity, blurted out the question everyone wanted to ask, "Why is the female brain so much more?"

The doctor smiled at the childish innocence and explained to the entire group, "It's just standard pricing procedure. We have to mark down the price of the male brains, because they've actually been used."