[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Online friendships? - Carers UK Forum

Online friendships?

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
This is not directly about carers but in a way describes the relationships that many of us build over time when online.If you get time have a glance at it and share your thoughts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ationships
Call me naive, but far from being the bottomless repository of oddballs and potential serial killers, the internet is full of lively minded, like-minded engaging people – for the first time in history we're lucky enough to choose friends not by location or luck, but pinpoint perfect friends by rounding up people with amazingly similar interests, matching politics, senses of humour, passionate feelings about the most infinitesimally tiny hobby communities. The friends I have now might be spread wide, geographically, but I'm closer to them than anyone I went to school with, by about a million miles.
thats a very interesting read,, and shes very right, although its still not a very sociably accepted thing, most of us do it! if it wasnt for the interent some days the only adult id talk to would be matt and sometimes i dont want to hear how to change a turbo on a bus!

very good find!
That is so right, for every 'iffy' person I have 'met' on the boards I have met so many others that the good outweighs the bad by miles!!

I have many really good friends who I would otherwise have never even known existed Image Image
I agree Myrtle, I've met loads of lovely people Image

Before the internet friendships, there were pen friends,
no-one thought that was odd?
Apart frtom this forum my only other friend is KAY she is the voice on my sat nav iam so lonely that most days i go home the wrong way just so KAY can say GEORGE turn around GEORGE at the next roundabout take the 4 exit and turn around then turn left GEORGE i said turn left george turn around when it is safe to do so you have reached your destination good night . Image
My best friend's dad has a sat nav that tells him "you are driving too fast" constantly. He has yet to figure out that the long pedal needs to come up a little to stop the satellite nagivation.... Image
I used to have several penfriends as a teenager.Two were through school,(one in France, one in New Zealand),two through a pop magazine and several who were friends met through a youth group each summer, and we would keep in touch.

I even called the postman"Uncle Fred", as he got to know me so well!He always had my letters ready, when he saw me at the bus stop before school.

I met two of my penfriends, one only a couple of years ago.THrough my getting to know her, several of my classmates also started penpal friendships, and one in particular has never lost touch, and is very close to her penpal.

I don't like the sat nav, it irritates me when it tells to to take a u-turn as soon as possible, and go back the other way.
I know the friends on this place has been very supportive and helped me through some very hard times.
I'm glad for the friendship and support I've found here. Image

People who are living in similar situations can really understand, there's so much you don't need to say as most here already know from experience!

(((Hugs)))
marie x
id rather come on here than go out ( god that sounds so sad!) but if i went to the pub with other mums i cant join in conversations about their kids football/ballet clubs all i know is about hospital and doing physio , i wouldntknow how to look after a bog standard baby- i dont even know how to make up formula milk because amy had special stuff and was tube fed.
I didnt have a normal pregnancy and i hate they sympathy thing,, i dont feel sorry for myself or amy, wouldnt change a thing in all honesty between me and her, shes me buddy.

No one in a pub would know wot its like to get up all hours to put some one on a potty, or wot its like to sit in a hospital for hours on end waiting, or the opening hours of the chemist, drs and know the numbers by heart.

So thank u online buddies-- i feel normal
I know what you mean Pixie. I am lucky, I do have a very good friend, and although she doesn't understand how difficult life can be, has been so supportive to me for many years.Her two children are the same ages as my younger two, and we used to go out together when they were all small.

My sister, on the other hand,says to me "I know how you feel", when I am having a moan at being unable to go out because of waiting for my son's support to turn up. She does NOT know how I feel. She does not have an adult child with a disability, her child is 19, and perfectly capable of living a life without her. She can go away and leave him, she can go to work, she can have a night out, (oh and have time to have a nice long soak in the bath and a chat on the phone with friends beforehand), and she can pretend to herself that she visits our father more often than she actually does, but she has no idea of what my life is like.She has turned out in an emergency for me, but not unless she was paid for it!

It is easy to come on here, and talk to people to understand. Soemtimes we disagree, but at least we are all starting from the same place, and we can be honest about why we are Image disagreeing.