[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Offensive or banter - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Offensive or banter

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Alex,I think it is interesting to hear your point of view,and will be asking my daughter what she thinks. Due to you being younger, perhaps you have a different perception on banter and offensiveness, than me,(I am 20 something years older than you). I think my daughter would be inclined more to your point of view.She is nearly 21 years old.
I'm all for a laugh but there are the right and wrong places for a chuckle, it's all down to personal opinion though, a couple of my male friends who are around the mid 40's thought what they did was unacceptable, mainly because there are appropriate places for it. For me there is a massive difference of banter in a workplace and banter outside the workplace.

My problem is behaviour like that in the workplace existed 20-30 years ago, thankfully we've come a long way from since then. Also it's quite demeaning to blokes as well, we're not all like that but it may seem like that if 2 high profile commentators are remarking on it.
[My problem is behaviour like that in the workplace existed 20-30 years ago, thankfully we've come a long way from since then. Also it's quite demeaning to blokes as well, we're not all like that but it may seem like that if 2 high profile commentators are remarking on it.]quote, Alex.
That is why I think that our age difference might matter with our points of view.It is 31 years since I started nursing, and I remember a lot of this sort of talk whilst I was working on the wards, but it was never a problem. (although it would be nowadays). My mother though, was a nurse in the 50's,(30 years before me),and that type of talk was not tolerated then, and nurses could be dismissed if a male patient spoke like that to them more than once.(as they would have been seen to be tolerating it and that was flirting.)For that reason my mother hated male wards.
I think most people would agree that the two men were the ones who looked foolish so it backfired immediately BUT compare the furore over this with Frankie Boyle and his comments on Jordan's disabled son, has he been sacked immediately, if not why not?
Harvey Price cannot come back with an equal put down, he is a vulnerable child, until the disabled have equal footing on the discrimination front then I personally cannot get hot under the collar over grown men acting like gauche teenie's.
Vicky
I agree Vicky,and what Frankie Boyle said about Harvey was filth,plus he regularly insults others with learning disabilities.
I think most people would agree that the two men were the ones who looked foolish so it backfired immediately BUT compare the furore over this with Frankie Boyle and his comments on Jordan's disabled son, has he been sacked immediately, if not why not?
Harvey Price cannot come back with an equal put down, he is a vulnerable child, until the disabled have equal footing on the discrimination front then I personally cannot get hot under the collar over grown men acting like gauche teenie's.
Vicky
That's a different situation though Vicky.

If Frankie Boyle was working in organisation with Jordan and he said the same joke to her about her son he would most likely lose his job or face severe discipline.

In the same way a comedian will not get sacked if they poke fun at female referees.
Frankie Boyle was paid for being offensive?What kind of Society do we live in, where his humour is tolerated?
Frankie Boyle was paid for being offensive?What kind of Society do we live in, where his humour is tolerated?
Problem with humour is it's subjective, One of Jimmy Carr's jokes was "what's worse than finding a worm in an apple.....Rape." I cant see how that's funny in the same way Frankie Boyle's joke wasn't funny.

From what I gather Frankie Boyle's brand of comedy is being as offensive as he can. If we were talking about comedians making offensive jokes we could always talk about Bernard Manning.

I think this discussion is getting skewed with two different valid areas of discussion. When banter becomes offensive and innapropriate remarks about disability which I think needs separating.
Not really, the two men probably thought they were funny and not offensive, similarly Boyle thinks he is funny, both situations are people on T.V.
Bernard Manning was rarely seen on T.V. because of racism, similarly Roy Chubby Brown does not get on T.V. because of racism and sexism but Frankie Boyle can insult a disabled child and he remains on screen.
It has to be across the board but if I were to get outraged by attitudes to women then give me 5 minutes with Jim Davidson whose intent and mysogony is never in doubt and who again rarely if ever gets TV time.
All these examples are people thinking they are being funny or clever but some instances are considered far more serious than others.
There is and always has been banter between the sexes, it crosses the line when it's malicious.
Incidentally anyone see the programme about ageism last night, another huge furore I just cannot work up a sweat about.
Vicky
Not really, the two men probably thought they were funny and not offensive, similarly Boyle thinks he is funny, both situations are people on T.V.
Just because both involved people on TV doesn't mean they are the same, they arose out of entirely different circumstances. Frankie Boyle intended his 'joke' to be heard especially if he did it in front of a TV camera, microphone and an audience.
Do you honestly think Gray and Keys would have said what they did if they knew people were going to hear it? especially considering they did it off air and when they thought their microphones were switched off.

Additionally one is a paid comedian who makes money from his brand of comedy, the others are paid to independently comment on a game of football. The latter two have a higher degree of responsibility than Boyle.

Put it this way, if Gray & Keys were caught off air mocking disabled people they would have been sacked.
Glen Hoddle told the Times that the disabled were a result of Karma, paying for things they did in a previous life, he was not sacked.
We either tolerate or do not tolerate across the board, imo there are no lines in the sand as to where it is OK.
The original question here is whether it is banter or offensive, in my examples there is no doubt that it is offensive.
I do not agree that the latter two have a higher degree of responsibility, why?
Is there a sliding scale somewhere of who can say what? in any case if they thought they were off camera then in their mind they were not being irresponsible in relation to their job.
Vicky