[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Offensive or banter - Carers UK Forum

Offensive or banter

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Ordinarily I dont watch TV on a Sunday morning, in fact rarely watch it at all. However today I watched part of The Big Question and they were discussing the commotion surrounding remarks made by football presenters last week. The mixed reactions were vast.

For those of you here who are aware of the story...

do you think the remarks were offensive?

Should the 2 men have lost their jobs as has happened?

When does banter cross the line and become offensive?

Have you had experience of offensive remarks, applies to both male and females here.

Had it been women making comments,would it have been classed as joking?
It's offensive when they made judgements about someone's abilities before they'd even seen her working - and she was proved right over a tough call.

And it's wrong that she has been pulled off her duties by the FA.

I'd have thought warnings were appropriate, but it depends on their contract, doesn't it? Be interesting if Gray took it to a tribunal... Ultimately, BSkyB made the decision to dump Gray at a time when they are trying to avoid controversy.
I watched this today Rosemary and was far more concerned that the Anglican Bishop did not know if there was life after death Image
Anyway back to your questions
1] No too strong a word, not very PC though
2] No
3] When it is malicious
4] Have had what I consider banter or bad taste jokes which I can throw back
5] Probably
Vicky
I think that the sacking of that guy was fair and just - but I'd have liked to see the same happen to his "friend", too.

They have to remember that in the modern world, there are a lot of women doing what were traditionally considered to be "men's jobs". As long as the lineswoman was fit for the job and was doing it fairly, where was the need to have a go at her?
I think it was banter. If they were being offensive,then why do we not have mixed football teams?There is a female snooker ref,but they do not have mixed matches.Sorry, if equality exists,then it has to exist throughout the sport.
Women would not allowed to be turned down for another job, just because of her sex, so why "male" sports?
Yes, I have heard sexist remarks, I was a nurse,and they are very regular, but hey,I always thought it was good for the ego.
I would have liked the football linesperson to be allowed to answer for herself. Perhaps she would have had just the right remark for Andy Gray.
I do think if women made the remarks it would have been considered banter.

BBC recently were fined for sacking a woman due to her age.That could also be sexist,as John Craven stayed in the same programme,and he is not a young man.
Glad to have a chance to air my feelings here,be interesting to see other points of view too!
I think it was banter, too. Not offensive, wasn't directly spoken or shouted to the woman.
A bit like Mr 'Smith' shouting at the referee whilst he's watching the footy on the TV and calling him something bad.
The man shouldn't have lost his job over this NOR should the woman have been taken away by the FA.

If everyone acted upon such things as this, the whole world would grind to a halt.
surely a very public appology would have been ok
i think they just didnt like that she got the off side rule lol
do you think the remarks were offensive? For people in their position and in the workplace, yes it was offensive

Should the 2 men have lost their jobs as has happened?Not just for the remarks but the leaked video's of Andy Gray asking a female presenter to tuck his shirt in. Also, there was a video clip of Andy Gray and other commentators asking his colleague 'how many pints is she?' again, is unacceptable in the workplace

When does banter cross the line and become offensive? when it is nasty and is in the form of bullying

Have you had experience of offensive remarks, applies to both male and females here. Probably

Had it been women making comments,would it have been classed as joking? No

I just think the guys have been utter idiots, they could have saved their 'banter' for in the pub or privately. The fact they did it in the workplace is one thing the next point is the stupidity of saying things infront of a camera and with a microphone on it was bound to happen. They have a position of responsibility and they abused that. They should have lost their jobs.
If they were being offensive,then why do we not have mixed football teams?There is a female snooker ref,but they do not have mixed matches.Sorry, if equality exists,then it has to exist throughout the sport.
An interesting point and one I'm going to have to be careful with. I don't think this is an equality issue, women can play football just as men ca, as for not playing in same team I don't think that is too much of an issue. It's like me saying, 'we are all equal, I want to use the ladies toilet....'
An interesting point and one I'm going to have to be careful with. I don't think this is an equality issue, women can play football just as men ca, as for not playing in same team I don't think that is too much of an issue.
Put me in same rugby team as men pleaseeeeeee. Those scrums sure look like fun Image Image Image Image Image
Did anyone see Top Gear a few days ago. Apparently the three presenters on there were offensive towards the people of Mexico, (who were their hosts incidentally).
Complaints did go in, but why have those men not been warned about racism?Just because of who they are, and how popular the programme is?

(Serena Williams, tennis player, wanted to be on the Men's tennis tour, but she was not allowed).

Alex,I think it is interesting to hear your point of view,and will be asking my daughter what she thinks. Due to you being younger, perhaps you have a different perception on banter and offensiveness, than me,(I am 20 something years older than you). I think my daughter would be inclined more to your point of view.She is nearly 21 years old.