Novel entertainment -pole dancing!

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Well that's a thread title I never expected to see on this forum!

Part of the new master plan Henrietta? ;)
On to a new plan this morning Mrs A and last night it swung round to a bungalow on the Isle of Wight. Today I'm back to decorating and lodgers with family tree research. This evening I will probably be back in Devon in my head but
rest assured pole dancing hasn't yet reached the top ten of my master plans. :lol:
there was a report on this in the lunchtime BBC news ! Seems like a lot of people (NOT the residents of the home) thought it was "inappropriate" entertainment for the elderly in a care home :shock:
I was thinking that it's not exactly appropriate for staff either!! A mix of younger and older staff at hubby's, plus male and female. I have a feeling they would have been very uncomfortable with it.
I think, having watched the video in the link, that it can be skillful gymnastic and elegant, if the costumes are modest and the ultra sexual moves removed. A bit like gymnastics on the beam, but vertical. It all depends on how it is presented and choreographed.

It is supposed to be very good exercise.... any volunteers? :D
I'm sure there was something in the news a while back about a care home bringing in strippers or such like .....I honestly don't understand the inside of the heads of people who think up such things! But then, we live in an increasingly appalling world in that respect!

I can see the virtues of a 'desexualised' pole exercise, but it's all a bit 'louche' to my mind, even if it were desexualised completely.
But that's the trouble isn't it ? Pole Dancing has got a bad reputation and is seen as "sex" and, therefore, inappropriate. In reality it is no different to any other form of acrobatic sport !
MrsAverage wrote: I think, having watched the video in the link, that it can be skillful gymnastic and elegant, if the costumes are modest and the ultra sexual moves removed. A bit like gymnastics on the beam, but vertical. It all depends on how it is presented and choreographed.
In the news report the dancers were shown wearing appropriate modest sports wear - and the moves were very athletic - not at all 'distasteful'.
The story also said that the residents has asked for more modern activities. I certainly wouldn't want to play bingo or sign "Tipperary" each week when I'm in one. More power to them for asking.
Absolutely. Why is it, when one reaches retirement age, that people expect you to like the music that your grandparents liked before the war?