[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
disability discrimination - Carers UK Forum

disability discrimination

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Disabled singer banned from karaoke at Northampton pub after being told he’s not good enough to sing
www.northamptonchron.co.uk

I hope this link has worked.
it is also worth reading the comments after the article.
As a parent of disabled children I would be outraged in the manner this was done...they would have easily been contacted before hand with explanations but to deliberatly slight them in front of the rest of the patrons is atrochious (no I can't spell that word).

As for what was done then in a way I have sympathy and if you have ever heard me and my daughter sing you would ban us both from the karioke. Now so long as he treats his none disabled patrons the same, there is no discrimination and he does in fact, go as far as saying that if other patrons were to scream down the mike and put people of coming there he would do the same to them...but how much of that was thought and said after the fact (eg after someone reading the disability act to him!) that we will never know.
There are several karaoke bars around this area: I've never heard anyone that good that I'd ever put them near a microphone again. Yet they are allowed to take part, no matter how drunk, no matter how bad their singing.

And, believe me, they really are bad! Image
half the fun of karaoke is how badly your friends sing Image
I have just listened to an interview and comments on the Jeremy Vine show about this.
The landlord told the people with learning disabilities, they were not going to be allowed to sing there, PRIOR to them singing that night,so that is definitely discrimination.
My son loves singing,and no, he can't sing well, but he tries and I have heard worse(when I open my own mouth for a start!).My son sings though, from his heart,and surely a night out for fun should be just that?
Would the landlord or DJ have dared to tell any other group of paying customers prior to singing,that they were not allowed to sing again at karaoke?
I have just listened to an interview and comments on the Jeremy Vine show about this.
The landlord told the people with learning disabilities, they were not going to be allowed to sing there, PRIOR to them singing that night,so that is definitely discrimination.
My son loves singing,and no, he can't sing well, but he tries and I have heard worse(when I open my own mouth for a start!).My son sings though, from his heart,and surely a night out for fun should be just that?
Would the landlord or DJ have dared to tell any other group of paying customers prior to singing,that they were not allowed to sing again at karaoke?
If he informed them before that night then how is it discrimination?it is only discrimination if that same rules only applies to them. Reading the full article they had been going there for a long while and the manager had on several occasions heard them. The article also states that this rule would apply to anyone screaming down the mike...unfair and upsetting yes but discrimination no.

Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on their membership in a certain group or category. It involves the actual behaviors towards groups such as excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to another group.
the manager is a new one. He had not heard them.He told them that evening, a karaoke night. He let them buy drinks first. Their money is good enough, just not their voices.
Is there a notice up in the bar saying "only people who can actually sing will be allowed to use the mike?" Or has anyone previously been denied the use of it? If not, it's just as likely to be an attempt to get around discrimination laws. I've heard some really awful examples. But no one ever stops them...do they?

And if the answer is no, there really is only one conclusion.
the manager is a new one. He had not heard them.He told them that evening, a karaoke night. He let them buy drinks first. Their money is good enough, just not their voices.
Yes he told them that evening, where does it say he had not heard them? this is what is in print...

Mr Bartholomey denied the group had been banned from singing at the karaoke in future, adding: “If they want to come along and have a go every couple of weeks that’s fine.

As for money being good enough not just their voices then that quite frankly is the buisness world all over...nothing new...money always speaks...there is nothing in what has been reported that says discrimination...if anything the quote from the article above proves the very opposite.