[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bills doubled - London Borough of Barking and Dagenham - Carers UK Forum

Bills doubled - London Borough of Barking and Dagenham

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
It was a struggle to get my mum to accept paid carers visiting twice-daily; still she is reluctant and occasionally wants to stop it. I normally distract until the subject goes away.

To this point, from her pension, with middle-level disability allowance, she has had to pay £18.65 a week. To avoid reminding her of the subject, I agreed with the council that bills would be sent to my address. Now her bills are doubling from April onwards. Apparently this is what she can afford!! I of course can't tell her as it would be another excuse to stop the paid carers, so I have to pay it. If it goes up any more, I will struggle to pay it myself. As I can't moan to her, I thought I would moan to you ....
anne,the idea when caring is,you get told something you disagree with you argue the point till your blue in the face and 9 times out of 10 you win,last year i got told i had to pay more council tax because i got more wtc,i disputed this and in the end paid nothing,then got a refund of £150 back as well,why should you pay when others get the world threw at them.
Spot on: let them know you are considering full-time nursing home care at their expense and they will - almost certainly - make a much better offer. Its like playing poker: they dont know your cards, so negotiate from a position of strength and imply the worst.
I went to a social services conference where it became quite obvious, when people say they can't pay the contribution they have been told as it is creating hardship, the local authority often reduce their payment!
We're in the middle of review right now and if they come back with a figure that's too much we may well go this route ourselves!
Give it a go - what have you got to loose?
Marie x