[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lib dem plan for elderly care - Carers UK Forum

Lib dem plan for elderly care

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Saw this on BBC website

Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg is to outline a £2bn "care guarantee" plan for the elderly, as part of his proposals to reform the NHS. He will say the extra cash should fund a minimum level of care for all who need it, rather than being based on their ability to pay.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7200708.stm

It is interesting that both oppostiion parties are coming up with big proposals on social care, perhaps it is finally being seen as an 'electable' issue? What do others think?

Matt
Interesting story in The Telegraph today states that the government is supporting an Audit Commission report which suggests removing the cap on care services charges that most local authorities set and that councils charge "middle-class" pensioners higher fees for home care services in order to force them into purchasing care directly from the private care sector. This story has some credibility in the light of the government's demand for "efficiency savings" from local authorities and figures published by the government in the past have shown that the highest levels of cost-cutting by councils have been "achieved" by social services departments.

The Telegraph story, with an opportunity to air your views on who should fund care of the elderly, can be found here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/

[note : URL shortened by Mod for spacing reasons]
Carers Uk has posted a reaction to the Lib dem policy paper that I mentioned above, which includes a few things we have been calling for.

Full story here :
http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaign ... 1200997547

With comment by our Chief Exec Imelda Redmond

“We welcome the Liberal Democrats’ pledge to give carers legal status as partners in care. The vast majority of care for elderly and disabled people is provided by families – a contribution worth £87 billion each year – yet too often their opinions and wishes are ignored by professionals. They should be recognised as the experts and involved at all stages of care.â€Â
[quote]Carers Uk has posted a reaction to the Lib dem policy paper that I mentioned above, which includes a few things we have been calling for.

“We also welcome the commitment to consider the level of Carer’s Allowance. The current rate of £48.65 is seen as an insult by many carers. It should be increased to the level of the national minimum wage and all carers should have some financial recognition for the contribution they are making.â€Â
[quote][quote]Carers Uk has posted a reaction to the Lib dem policy paper that I mentioned above, which includes a few things we have been calling for.

“We also welcome the commitment to consider the level of Carer’s Allowance. The current rate of £48.65 is seen as an insult by many carers. It should be increased to the level of the national minimum wage and all carers should have some financial recognition for the contribution they are making.â€Â
Hi Excalibur - on the minimum wage bit: this is what carers have consistently asked for - certainly in my area this comes up time and again, since long before I ever worked at a carers centre. Let's face it: for most carers this would represent a real income hike, as long as the carer premium gets a similar boost for those on Income Support/Pension Credit...

Given that some carers feel that Carers UK doesn't listen and have suggested that its staff will only ask for what they think is right, I hope more carers will welcome the fact that Imelda Redmond has nailed her colours to the mast, so to speak, and come out clearly with what carers are asking for - and a target for the government to meet!
...the campaign objective of Carer's Allowance set at the level of the Minimum Wage was voted for by members of Carers UK at our AGM (I think 2005). The motion which was passed called on Carers UK to campaign for Carer's Allowance to be set at level equivalent to the State Pension as the short term objective and the level of the Minimum Wage as the long term objective.