[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Motability Response to press - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Motability Response to press

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Daily Mail article reviews also refer to freebies such as blue badges. They have to be paid for,and the only advantage that my husband gets from his is that we can park on the ground floor of our multistorey car park. Disabled people have to pay,(oh I forgot, he gets an extra hour for parking, but has to pay the maximum to start with).
Perhaps we should sit own and work out just how much we and our carees actually pay out over a year,for things like the blue badge, just to make life that little bit easier and safer.

I also see that the new rules say that people under 25 cannot drive a motability car that goes at speed. What do they class as "going at speed?"
What does it mean for young people, in receipt of Mobility component themselves, who may want to drive their own car?I can't see any rules about this. A young man living locally has brittle bone disease, learnt to drive at 17, and was able to become independent for the first time in his life.
I think that there are going to be an awful lot of problems with these new rules.
Rules written by hysteria are rarely any damn' use.

Incidentally, I was pointing out only that the system is strange and needs some work: it's hard to justify an MX-5 or similar small sports car, whilst saying that larger cars won't be available if they go over £2,000 - and the family has more than 2.2 kids...
the scheme is open to abuse ..and should be stopped .. we all know what goes on .. when my mother was in London for a luncheon with Gordon Brown i was stopped twice by the met ..and questioned about the car they knew it was motability and asked why i was driving round and round London ..informed them that i was waiting for her to call me from Downing st to pick her up HA HA HA said the boys in blue ..but one quick call all okay ..was even told i could park up and wait ..result ...not happy about the second driver having to live within 5 miles as we are out in the sticks and nearest relative is over 17 miles away ..still if it stops the fraud okay by me ...
I don't think it's OK to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, or do you think the car scheme is rife with abuse? It's not OK with me if genuine cases are going to suffer because of this stirred up hatred from a fear that someone might have something over someone else, although there would be no rush to take the disability, just the car!
Would you think it was OK if all benefits were removed because of the abuse of some?
Vicky
George, your comment reminds me of some of the DM commentators who insist that they deserve the car and are honest but then suggest that other people are not, I actually find these comments more offensive than the ignorant comments by people who have no experience of disability and no knowledge of DLA and the Motability scheme. Only a very small percentage of users or their relatives of the Motability scheme were found to be abusing the scheme, likewise the level of fraud in disability benefits is exceedingly low. Perhaps it is a mistake to expect users of schemes like Motability and the Blue badge scheme to check their facts before commenting?
George what hope can we possibly have when comments like the one you just made are posted.

Too many people think "IM alright Jack cos im over 60 so they wouldnt dare do it to me.
Ever heard the saying "Be careful what you wish for"
I do not think that it has anything to with age, some people just selfishly consider themselves more deserving than others without a thought for the needs of those who they in their ignorance condemn as undeserving, you see it in the comments sections of the tabloids all the time. What they fail to recognise is that they are endorsing the negative public perception of themselves as a member of the group under attack along with those who they consider less deserving, a bit of an own goal really.
It took years for disabled people to get away from the death traps, otherwise known as "Invacars", that didn't meet the needs of families, wheelchair users, or anyone else. Motability was set up to meet the need, recognising that different disabled people needed different types of transport.

And it works very well indeed. We had a Motability car for my son, some years ago. It was a no-deposit Daewoo Nexia, and it was pretty much ideal for our needs. No way we could have afforded even that any other way at the time, as I was caring full-time for 3 people. When I got the job I have now, we needed flexibilities not available with Motability and had to settle for cheaper cars. But for the time we had a Motability car it was a brilliant arrangement.

Trouble is, it's somehow become an issue for envy. To which I can only say, "if you want the car, have the disability." I for one would rather my son wasn't disabled. It's a fair swap.
i have a right to my opinion ..and no way did i say we deserve a car more than others ..in fact we had to wait many years to qualify for a motability car ..we did not have D.L.A. and the level of war pension was to low for us to qualify therefore we had to pay for our own car till we were able to access the scheme..aint it funny we have more complaints about the loss/changes to motability but most on this forum want those with good pensions to pay for their own respite ..
i have a right to my opinion ..and no way did i say we deserve a car more than others ..in fact we had to wait many years to qualify for a motability car ..we did not have D.L.A. and the level of war pension was to low for us to qualify therefore we had to pay for our own car till we were able to access the scheme..aint it funny we have more complaints about the loss/changes to motability but most on this forum want those with good pensions to pay for their own respite ..
Where does it say that you said that you deserved a car more than others, George? I cannot see it Image .

Maybe the reason why people are concerned about the loss/changes to the Motability scheme is because they are concerned about the impact on disabled people and their carers as a whole, not all of us who have commented use the Motability scheme but we are still concerned for those who do.

And if you want to discuss means-testing again would you mind awfully starting a new thread because this thread is about changes to the Motability scheme which is not means-tested.

And, yes, George, of course you have the right to an opinion and to express it and so does everyone else have the right to an opinion and to express it whether it is the same or different to our own, the fact that people might not agree with us is not a denial of our right to an opinion, on the contrary they are exercising their rights just as we are.