[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mencap care worker suspended - Carers UK Forum

Mencap care worker suspended

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Suppo ... story.html

And they call these people "carers." I've seen equally bad examples from paid care workers. It makes me sick.
Grotesque.
I do hope that 'further training' isn't their answer. She should never be employed in a caring role again.
Hi ,when i posted this didn't see that Penny had posted the same story last night.
I am shocked that Mencap are employing people like this .
Penny wrote:http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Suppo ... story.html

And they call these people "carers." I've seen equally bad examples from paid care workers. It makes me

sick.
Just awful! At least she was caught!
david c wrote:Hi ,when i posted this didn't see that Penny had posted the same story last night.
I am shocked that Mencap are employing people like this .
No worries.

It's not just Mencap. I saw two female care workers pushing two elderly people in wheelchairs a couple of months ago. It was bitterly cold that day and the old people only had on light jackets with not even a blanket over their legs. The 2 "carers" went into a new beauty salon and left the people outside. The elderly man had a dripping nose and the wind was freezing that day. People like that are totally dependent on their "carers" ..... It's so unfair.

Several years ago I used to see two really bossy women taking young learning disabled adults shopping. They either ignored them or threatened them that if they didn't behave they wouldn't get sweets etc. If you got behind them at the checkout and they saw you watching they would immediately turn on the charm and pretend to be nice and caring.
The only real test of a care worker is to see them at work. Mencap obviously had no idea what she was like but they have suspended her immediately and frankly this looks like a sacking in waiting.

No amount of training will change that attitude.
Shows how important it is that people with disabilities are involved in recruiting their own staff. I piloted this in a few houses I was managing and it worked really well.
Scally wrote:Shows how important it is that people with disabilities are involved in recruiting their own staff. I piloted this in a few houses I was managing and it worked really well.
I can see the sense in that however some people come over well at interview and then change once they've got the job.

My daughter had a PA who she chose and we expressly said at interview that it was important to us that when she was working her priority was my daughter and not taking calls on her mobile etc. (we had seen this so many times when we've been out together and the career is being totally ignored)

"Oh no, I would never ever do that" she said but it was only a matter of days before she was on the phone all the time. I drove them somewhere one day which was approx 30 minute drive and she was texting the whole time.