Lord Darzi

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
from carers uk

Causing a bit of controversy today, Lord Darzi says families 'must be told to help care for their elderly relatives rather than rely on the NHS'.

We don't agree! With 6m carers providing the equivalent of £119bn of care a year; families are doing their bit!

so the six million are in fact all family members mmmm not friends or neighbours ...and for me LORD DARZI is right the family should be the first port of call for social care the family who have someone who is willing, able and capable of providing good care should be supported in doing just that but they should be rewarded with more then the carers allowance ...
Just what are carers uk up to we have a former health minister supporting families who have done the right thing and have provided good 24/7 care many have even given up work to provide this care and by doing so have reduced the workload for the N.H.S. local authorities, yet carers uk are against LORD DARZI plans which will include a rise in the carers allowance ..just who do carers uk support ...

Families should do more to ensure their elderly relatives get the care they need rather than always relying on the NHS and local councils, a health policy expert said yesterday.

Lord Darzi, once appointed by Gordon Brown as a health minister, said the state should ‘demand’ people take ‘greater responsibility’ for the health and social care of themselves and their families.

But he said family members who care for older relatives should receive greater financial help from the state.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z22ZluZ6pj
from carers uk

Causing a bit of controversy today, Lord Darzi says families 'must be told to help care for their elderly relatives rather than rely on the NHS'.

We don't agree! With 6m carers providing the equivalent of £119bn of care a year; families are doing their bit!

so the six million are in fact all family members mmmm not friends or neighbours ...and for me LORD DARZI is right the family should be the first port of call for social care the family who have someone who is willing, able and capable of providing good care should be supported in doing just that but they should be rewarded with more then the carers allowance ...
Carers UK does not say]family[/i] carers... " it says "... 6m carers... ".

Fortunately CUK does not restrict itself to only working on behalf of an exclusive little club of family members in receipt of CA, if it did it would only represent C500,000 carers and the majority of carers, 5.5 million, would be left without representation and support. Equally fortunately, neither does the government define carers in such narrow terms.
Down the road from us live 2 ladies. They are in no way related to each other nor are they in a relationship. One needs care the other provides it, but according to you George, she's just a friend helping out and thus not deserving of any recognition? I think not, she is every inch a carer.
500-000 or a few more can and do recieve the cares allowance but carers uk have often claimed that another 2-3 million could and should be entitled to the carers allowance far from being a minority group, under LORD DARZI plans most of them would be entitled to financial support ..yet carers uk reject his plans and from what i see dont even have the brains to talk to him and thrash out what could be a good policy for the care of the elderly disabled within their own home which will save the N.H.S. & Local authorities even more cash ..and yes the nice old lady is a good friend indeed but is she provinding substantial care for her friend ..she is just that a good friend / neighbour and deserves to be thanked for being just that but for me i would be more then happy to help and support neighbours , which i do without the need to be classed as a carer ....
CARES UK in response to the LORD DARZI speech dont say we have six million carers, they say we have six million carers and FAMILIES are doning their bit, for me it is all about the family.......

.and yes the nice old lady is a good friend indeed but is she provinding substantial care for her friend ..she is just that a good friend / neighbour and deserves to be thanked for being just that but for me i would be more then happy to help and support neighbours , which i do without the need to be classed as a carer ....
You know something, George, if I was that lady I would find your post offensive just as I am sure that you would, rightly, find having to justify your use of the name carer offensive. In fact I do not need to be that lady to find your post offensive, since when did one type of carer have to justify themselves to another?
she is just that a good friend / neighbour and deserves to be thanked for being just that
I'll tell her that George, especially the bit about her being old,but her reply to you might, in fact would, not be allowed on the forum. To say she would find your comment offensive is an understatement!!!
Although Darzi called for more support for carers, the issue picked up the most was his suggestion that the govt 'demand' families to take on more responsibility, that a 'duty to care' was placed on them.

This could open a can of worms. So many reasons why a person cannot supply the care needed for someone else. To be 'forced' to do so could create serious problems.
There is a simple matter of the right to choose to care - or not. Darzi would tread on that, something that numerous social workers I've met would support but which I could not. It is an effective enslavement and totally unacceptable.

Trying to "buy off" our rights to choose with a few quid for some is equally unacceptable. Felt padding for the chains so they don't chafe so!

Darzi obviously doesn't understand the nature of caring, of carers, or the law as it currently stands. He also has no idea that the vast majority of care is provided by carers!