[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Libdems oppose free home care - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Libdems oppose free home care

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Speech in full

In a speech to the King’s Fund, Liberal Democrat Leader Nick Clegg has today set out the party’s respite care guarantee, providing a week’s break from caring every year to the 1m unpaid carers who provide more than 50 hours care each week.
Doesn't matter what party it is - it's a joke! What real use is a voucher for a week when what we really need is a fair financial package in return for what we do - instead of being possibly the most officially excluded group in society apart from convicted prisoners!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image Image
Doesn't matter what party it is - it's a joke! What real use is a voucher for a week when what we really need is a fair financial package in return for what we do - instead of being possibly the most officially excluded group in society apart from convicted prisoners!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image Image
I disagree.
And if you can't find a way to use your voucher then I know someone who can - a week at Badaguish Outward Bound Centre for my son would be just the ticket. And is he so exceptional, well no, because the centre runs courses the whole year round for disabled children and adults, and there are many other disabled holiday centres like it, so someone else's kids must also be having lots of fun and enjoying a healthy break.
I have been trying to make some consistently up-beat posts, from my own experience in 20 years as a carer, in order to show that carers do not all live on the breadline or suffer appalling levels of social deprivation and poverty, or believe that public officials are corrupt, because that is sometimes the message that a casual newcomer to this board might come away with. To do so I have had to share some of my own story. I make no apologies if that is a positive story, because it happens to be true. And we cant base policy demands on emotion or poor research. At least half of Britains carers are in employment, many of the rest are on comfortable or modest pensions, so whilst this may be your own reality, we are certainly not all "possibly the most officially excluded group in society apart from convicted prisoners!!!!!!! "
Carers UK welcomes Lib Dem carers breaks announcement but urges bigger debate

Today (Monday 22 February 2010), Carers UK reacted positively by welcoming the Liberal Democrat proposal that £460 million additional funding should be put into funding breaks for carers but warned that it should not be at the expense of rights to free personal care, reablement or a bigger funding settlement for social care.

Liberal Democrat’s proposal would place the current breaks funding for Primary Care Trusts for 2010 which is estimated at £100 million and the £360 million earmarked for the delivery of the Personal Care at Home Bill from October 2010 towards funding a week’s break for the 1 million carers providing 50 hours of care per week or more.

Imelda Redmond, Chief Executive, said, “We warmly welcome the recognition that families who provide substantial care need breaks from caring 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in order to recharge their batteries. We proposed a more ambitious plan 2 years ago when the National Strategy for Carers was being developed which would have seen at least £1,000 being given to this group of carers every year for breaks. It is vital that we see current investment in carers breaks continuingâ€
Well done NICK CLEGG the free personal care at home is a joke the old doll needs constant care 24/7 and i have letter from M.O.D. doctor that says so it even says she should not be left to care for herself alone , yet she would not qualify for the "free personal care at home" as she would fail the critically ill tests FEEDING , DRINKING , TOILETING & PERSONAL HYGIENE and lets remember the care will be about 6 hours per week what a joke i am sure many would rather have a week off instead of 6 hours per week and we all know what we do we will end up helping the care worker .....and can the local authority afford such a scheme this parrot is dead .....
i wonder if the 5 Labour council leaders will back Nick Clegg or Gordon Brown ...

is the D.L.A.& A.A. safe in the hands of the Liberals? we have been informed that the conservatives will keep the A.A. & D.L.A. if the Liberals will keep the disability benfits that will give me a choice of who to vote for Liberals or Conservatives Labour have lost my vote( i have voted Labour from day one ) i aint gonna vote for a reduction of £280 per month from our family income.....
If anyone has a specific question they would like to ask the Libdems about this,either post it here or send me a pm.Confirmation received earlier that they will answer queries.You have till tomorrow morning.
same question as ever = is the D.L.A. and the A.A. safe in their hands or will they use these disability benefits to fund some mad cap scheme .......
second thought === he could have with the cash from the N.H.S. £400 million raised the carers allowance and also made a payment towards pensioner carers £12-50p each what a bargain after all we save them 87 billion each and every year...
Family life
You have the right to enjoy your family relationships without interference from the government. This includes the right to live with your family and, where this is not possible, the right to regular contact.

‘Family life’ can include the relationship between an unmarried couple, an adopted child and the adoptive parent, and a foster parent and fostered child.
Also.
Rachel Gunter (by her litigation friend and father Edwin Gunter) v South Western Staffordshire Primary Care Trust (2005)
A disabled woman who required 24 hour care wanted to be cared for at home with her family, through an extensive care package. However, her local Primary Care Trust (PCT) wanted to place her in residential care due to the high cost of home care, and because of the higher quality of care in the residential care home in the event of a crisis. The High Court found that the PCT had not properly considered the impact of this on her family life. They had not taken into account her improved quality of life at home, or her own wishes to be placed at home. The PCT was therefore told to remake their decision, taking her right to respect for her family life into account.
(Case summary provided by the British Institute of Human Rights)
Respect for your private and family life

It also includes your right to control who sees and touches your body. For example, this means that public authorities cannot do things like leave you undressed in a busy ward, or take a blood sample without your permission.
Now my question is?

People have a right to say who they want to provide care for them and nobody can be forced in to caring that's fair however, LA's and the NHS have a responsibility to Care and the National Home Care Bill is taking away that choice if they remove AA from everybody which would then make it compulsory for all.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/huma ... mily-life/

Personal Home Care Bill 22/02/2010
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id ... 22a.817.14