[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Libdems oppose free home care - Carers UK Forum

Libdems oppose free home care

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
read in full here

Gordon Brown’s policy of free home care for the elderly will suffer its most serious setback yet this morning when the Liberal Democrats become the first party to oppose the plan.

Nick Clegg, the Lib Dem leader, will announce that unpaid carers who look after relatives for more than 50 hours a week would instead get a week’s holiday cover out of money allocated by the Prime Minister for free care. In a speech to the King’s Fund think-tank, Mr Clegg will become the most high-profile critic of Mr Brown’s pledge to give 400,000 people with “critical needsâ€
Well that won't cost much at all then as so very few would be willing to dump their caree in a home for a week!!!!!!! Crafty and cynical move!

And where does it leave people who already get respite - will they get their provision reduced to a week per year?

How much do you reckon we might get for our vouchers on e-bay? Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Guardian

The policy, for those who care for others unpaid for at least 50 hours each week, will be unveiled by the Lib Dem leader, Nick Clegg, during a speech to the King's Fund health thinktank in London.

Press Association
Oh dear!
I just couldn't resist it!!!!!!!!!!!! Image

ROSEMARY! You BAD girl!!!!! Look what you made me do!!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0407093220
ROSEMARY! You BAD girl!!!!! Look what you made me do
Somehow Boggle I dont think you need encouragement of any sort to get up to mischief Image
Anyways,you will get done for 'false advertisement' Image Image Image , the vouchers dont exist plus could be used for other breaks not necessarily in a home.

I am getting tired of all these 'new' ideas floating around.My normal instinct of looking for the positive is being clouded with negative views too many times now. Whether it is small amounts or large amounts,money seems to be getting tossed in every direction but family carers.

Reading the articles above, I will be curious to find out more details tomorrow what the measure mark will be for 50 hours care per week. For example,had they said 35 hours that would have been an automatic entitlement for those in receipt of CA. Who is going to decide whom does 50.

Plus receiving the equivalant to a weeks money for residential care and you use it as such, where is the money then to be able to afford to go away.Or am I reading it wrong? Lets see what tomorrow brings when we see the full statement.

None of it affects me so what do you think?
Moi? Mischief? Never!!!!!!!!!! Image Image Image Image Image Image

No problem with false advertising - item description clearly states the voucher will only marerialise if Clegg gets to be PM and actually does this ! Then I did link it to the times article that makes no mention of spending it on other things!!!!!!

What do I think? Well it will be OK if we could spend it on the things we really need -who does Clegg think he is decreeing that all we need is a break that we will have to go cap in hand for and probably won't get it anyway. Why should we have to jump through hoops for every little bit of help/support/rights?
Now if I could trade it for some Open University vouchers or some health care for my daughter it might be worth having.
What might be interesting is the detail of where you would be allowed to spend it - do you suppose the lib dems have shares in Butlins? Image
Boogle
Name your source!!!
This voucher is the brainchild of Nick Clegg, Lib Dem leader! Not to be missed - if he makes it to PM at the next general election this voucher will materialise and be hugely attractive to a wide variety of people!
I can assure you the Lib Dems take carers seriously and they rank us next fire fighter (a cliché I know) I have been campaigning to raise awareness of carers issues with all parties and quite frankly the only party to have responded are the Lib Dem’s.

I have proof and personal letters from Nick Clegg to show his support to carers while Labour and the Conservatives have been arrogant enough not to reply . Do you have an alternative party in mind to fight our cause?
I can assure you the Lib Dems take carers seriously
I will 2nd that. After the disgraceful behaviour of Burnham,Lansley on the Politics show last week,as part of CW we sent an email to them including Norman Lamb with cc copies to 3 party leaders. Lamb was the only one to reply and exchanged several emails,not bog standard ones but wherein he actually discussed what had been said.
It was the same at Carers UK AGM, I found Paul Burstow from LibDems to have the most understanding re carers issues.

I am still curious as to the full details about this proposal though Image Image
This is what Alex was referring to in his blog (see last paragraph)

http://carersblog.wordpress.com/

Sam_B
This is what Alex was referring to in his blog (see last paragraph)

http://carersblog.wordpress.com/

Sam_B
Sam, do you have the full details re this proposal?