[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can paid care be provided in 15 mins - Carers UK Forum

Can paid care be provided in 15 mins

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Echo probes council moves to measure care for the elderly and vulnerable by the minute

CARE of the elderly is being measured by the MINUTE in Hampshire in a bid to save millions of pounds, the Daily Echo can reveal.

Both the county council and Southampton City Council commission just 15 minutes of care for some frail pensioners still living at home, including dementia sufferers.

And in that brief time, carers may be required to feed disabled OAPs and take them to the toilet.
see in full here

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9774708 ... y_/?ref=rl
When STAN was in his last few months to take him to the toilet would sometimes take over half an hour .... and as he had alzheimers on return to bed he would often ask for the toilet again.

15 minutes no way ..and i see the alarm system does not work ... and the cost of the care up to £23 per hour yet the poor care workers get £6-08 per hour still more then we get ..the cheapest form of social care is to use a family member to provide the care if they, as i have often said are willing , able and capable and we dont want minimum wage just a good increase in the carers allowance would do for most of us ....why is it theuse of family members is never ever cosidered are they against us for some reason ..and i`m not paranoid i knew for a fact when i played rugby the lads in the scrum were talking about me ..
the answer is yes,i've done it when i did home care for a while,can it be done in a proper,caring manner and treating the service user in a respectful way ie the way you'd expect your grandma or grandad to be treated,then the answer is no,the 15 mins is actually 14 mins after allowing time to fill in the care plan.
why is it theuse of family members is never ever cosidered are they against us for some reason ..
Actually George they rely on it. And don't want to have to pay for it at all as far as social care is concerned - which is why Malc is facing so much resistance to his suggestion.
The lady that does my hubbys respite sits has 15 minute slots on her work sheet. When I asked her what she can do for some one in that time she said nothing I can't even make make them a cup of tea and a sandwich and the slot actually reduces to 10 mins because she has to phone in and out and fill the care plan in
I have lots of friends in the road haulage industry, at all levels. One of the problems of carers is that they are poorly organised. If care agencies adopted better systems of organisation, as used in the haulage industry, carers would do less travelling, and provide more care. Mum's carers don't get paid travel time, but calls may be ten miles apart in our rural area!!
it's not the carers that aren't organised,it's the way the office does the rota,the countryside calls are 9 times out of 10 calls that other agencies don't want or ones that don't fit in to a rota,ie one service user per village on the outskirts of a town,i chauffeured a care worker round the villages near market rasen and the a15,went to places that i didn't know existed,8 calls and i covered 150+ miles in 6 hours,that was a 3 times a day venture for the office to cover,in their defence they couldn't get any local staff to do these calls,so basically if you dream of living in the countryside,only do it if you won't need homecare in the future,because you will struggle to get it.
We have sporting events that close off small local roads now and again. The Ironman challenge last year meant that the roads to about eight villages were closed from 7am till about 3pm.A Careworker I know could not get to several of her calls that day. The people in need of assistamce just had to go without. The same this year when they have it.Roads were also closed for the Olympic torch,and there might be other events too.Plus the main road into Pembroke was shut all day four or five times at weekends over a period of six months, taking heavy loads via lorry to the new Power Station.
Care Agencies and staff would find it very difficult to manage some of these situations and timings.The Ironman one, I found out about on Facebook. We had a note through the door from the council the day before it was to happen.
It takes the homecarer the first fifteen minutes to get my Dad awake in the mornings!

They did try to reduce his morning package to half an hour, but none of the girls can manage in that time and if he is rushed he collapses which holds them back even more.

I used to do some private homecare work, but wouldn`t entertain it nowadays.

Take care
Meg

I used to do some private homecare work, but wouldn`t entertain it nowadays.

Take care
Meg
I have been doing it 6 years now and although enjoy it I wont be doing it again either