[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JOB SEEKERS WORK FOR YOUR BENEFIT - Carers UK Forum

JOB SEEKERS WORK FOR YOUR BENEFIT

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Do they not realise just how angry this makes many carers feel, we have had workfare for carers for decades now , we just get on with it , perhaps if we move onto the new universal credit we will get he same benefit rate as the unemployed £70 per week or near enough , thats a rise on £20 that would do me and we will still be working for the minimu of 35 hours per wek , and saving the state billions , if the unemployed have to work for their benefit they will have to spend more on each claimant ... travel expenses , meal allowance, child care , insurance & protective clothing ... they use the U.S.A. as an example, they provided the unemployed with all the above to allow the claimant to "retrain or volunteer " ...

what a cock up it`s a shambles ....
Why wouldn't they be working for the minimum wage? I don't understand this at all, if there is a real job to do then who would do it for JSA?
Vicky
They will do it because failing to comply will result in losing JSA for three months, in the US this scheme of working for one's benefits, albeit on a larger scale, resulted in the loss of jobs as employers realised that the work could be carried out via Workfare at no cost to them, hardly a means of increasing employment Image .
Nobody should be forced to work for less than the minimum wage to earn benefits, and useful training leading to a valued qualification must be integral to all such schemes.
That said I really enjoyed the few weeks I spent on such welfare-to-work schemes whilst living as an unregistered visa-less migrant in New Zealand in between proper paying jobs, the work was fun and I learned some new skills, so on balance I'm very positive.
Something that has been battering around my head since i heard all this come out.
If the government are going to force people who are on JSA to work for their benifit doesn't that technically make the government their employer? if so should that employer not be held to the same laws as every other employer? especially the minimum wage law?
Something that has been battering around my head since i heard all this come out.
If the government are going to force people who are on JSA to work for their benifit doesn't that technically make the government their employer? if so should that employer not be held to the same laws as every other employer? especially the minimum wage law?
er, well yes but no. If you want to make real money by setting up a business in the next month or two, set up one that employs large numbers of hoodies to do something that sounds OK on paper; perhaps a movie extra agency providing zombies for scary films. then the poor hoodies just have to be themselves and walk around with a dumb expression looking menacing for a few minutes every day whilst the real actors get to beat them up with cricket bats.
The fact is, you are the contractor, you therefore employ the hoodies, the government can wash its hands of the contract of employment. They aren't that dim, you know!