[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
James Purnell - Add your comments to article - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

James Purnell - Add your comments to article

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
There is no effective support for carers who want to return to work - Jobcentres are generally useless because they have no idea what it's like. If you're lucky the staff will suggest care work, without any idea of what is involved or what type of care you're currently providing.

The social care system relies on carers for approximately 75-80% of all social care and cannot afford to make carers return to work.

The majority of people receiving care are not of working age and therefore not likely to go to work.

But some individuals can work, and want to. All too often they are prevented by a system that is geared up to make life difficult for them - not deliberately, but through ignorance.

There has to be a better way.
This report is generally to me anyway ok but i believe many will slip through the net the so called NO CONDITIONALITY clause what does it mean ? = carers with the most significant caring responsabilities and people with the most severe health conditions need not seek employment nor should we force them to do so.
The old doll is a 100% war disabled veteran in receipt of a full war disabled pension which was awarded to her by independent doctors chosen by the veterans agency, she has been informed that as she is now age 85 she will not be requiered to undertake another medical test re her level of disability she requiers full time care 24/7 but this so called no conditionality will carers have to prove the person they care for is indeed in need of "full time care" i wonder how many will be told that they dont come under the no conditionality agreement and will be encouraged to find work or training ???? ive said it before and i`ll say it again you don`t need to wipe bums all day long to be a carer many elderly disabled just need the security of someone to be with them 24/7 in case things do go wrong but will that warrant a full time carer lets remember £50 per week is an awful lot of money that could be spent say bailing out a bank or summit like that
I would imagine many members here and across other boards have contacted Paul Greggs.

I have just received my reply and will share it here.I have posted what I sent him so it will make some sense..( I hope Image ).As soon as he sends the follow up I will post it here and if of interest it can be shared with the other boards.

Dear Paul,

I hope you will forgive this intrusion especially as I am aware that other carers have contacted you also.

As you can imagine your recent report is being discussed on many of the online carer forums and I am posting a few links here so you are aware of what is being said.I hope you have time to read some of the comments.

http://www.carersuk.org/Forums/viewtopi ... c&start=15

http://carerwatch.com/latestcampaigns/?p=9

http://www.carers.org/messageboard/3/13458/thread.html

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/caringiswork/ an online carer group petition that was only available to support for such a short time but received a great response.

http://www.compassonline.org.uk/campaig ... asp?n=3451 so many academics are supporting this and a list of their names on the link along with over 500 comments

A quote from Carers UK response to the Green Paper... We reject the proposal to require carers currently claiming Income Support
to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance. Even though this would be a modified version
of JSA without conditionality, the name is insulting to carers and it does not
provide recognition of carers’ contribution to society.

I was at the closing event in Newcastle at which you spoke and whilst I agree Welfare reform is needed,I dont think it should be at the risk of carers losing their identity and what they actually do contributing to society being overlooked.

We have had many individuals,groups,organisations and charities, all point out the downfall of these proposals.Recently we had Sir Richard Hilt of the SSAC say the welfare to work drive should be delayed by one or two years.

Carers on Carers Allowance and income support cannot be classed as being inactive. Carers are unique within the benefit system in that they have to fulfil the requirement of providing a minimum of 35 hours a week care in order to qualify for Carers Allowance. Over 1 ½ million carers provide more than 50 hours a week of care, some providing care 24 hours a day 7 days a week.Carers Allowance cannot therefore be considered as being a passive benefit. Caring places physical and emotional demands on a carer. Unpaid caring entails carrying out the same tasks and duties considered by society to be work when carried out by paid care workers.Without carers unpaid contribution to society this unpaid care would have to be provided by state-funded social care staff at a considerably higher cost to society. Without carers our NHS and social care systems would collapse. The average carer is saving the nation over £15,260 a year. A full time carer saves the nation considerably more.

I would like to ask if you could give me a few paragrahs when you have time that could be posted among the online carer community.This is their future they have concerns about.Hopefully you can explain in simple terms what your thoughts are on this matter.

Many thanks for your time and I do hope to hear from you.

Rosemary O'Neill

His reply

hi

yes I will gladly do this - carers need a clear message of support and channel of communication to what will be crucial decisions over the next two years. My review didnt and was suppossed to address these but im happy to give my thoughts.

best

Paul

We can all have some fun with this, and I just have, but the key phrase is this:
The report also identifies some groups of people who should face no conditionality requirements whatsoever. These groups are lone parents and partners with very young children, carers with the most significant caring responsibilities and people with the most severe health conditions.
I think most of us can live with that, cant we?
We can all have some fun with this, and I just have, but the key phrase is this]The report also identifies some groups of people who should face no conditionality requirements whatsoever. These groups are lone parents and partners with very young children, carers with the most significant caring responsibilities and people with the most severe health conditions.
I think most of us can live with that, cant we?[/quote]

We all have our own opinions but for me, in reply to your question Rob, I would have to say No.

Is welfare reform needed? Most definitely, but not at the cost of carers losing their identity.Thats just my thoughts,lets see what others think and feel.

The point is that without recognition, carers become just another scrounger and the conditionality factor rears its head again. You cannot get away from the fact that if there is no method of recognising a carer for what s/he is there is no way to prevent conditionality.

The message from the government was that taking some carers off Carers Allowance was to simplify the system: it will complicate it further. If they cannot be honest about that I personally have no faith in their statements on "no conditionality" for carers.
I would like to know that the Government recognise and are prepared to show Society that we have to earn our Carers Allowance. Even those of us who have employment are still oncall. When I was working, there were several times I had to come home due to a situation; both times I was back in work within a hour(I worked 12 hour shifts), but I would think that virtually every Carer has to be oncall.

I do n ot have any sort of a normal life.I gave that up when I gave up employment. Any Social Life is with other Carers, and even that is stressful, if for example I cannot make a meeting or am not prepared to be on yet another committee.

I think Social Services believe that I sit down and do nothing all day long, while my son is out.Well, that is the time when I get my housework done, and try to fit in Drs appointments, shopping etc.At the moment, I am typing this while waiting for people to answer phone calls. THe worst invention ever was the call centre.
The issue of recognition and identity is important. There are no answers in Greggs report but he is raising the idea of how you give carers the recognition and status they deserve? This is from P66 of his report
The Review also recommends that the Government gives active consideration to how, in the longer-term, it can give those with significant caring responsibilities a recognisable status to identify the fact that they are different from most other benefit recipients, and protect them from the usual requirement to be heading towards paid employment.
THe worst invention ever was the call centre.
This comment is important to us. Press 1 if you agree with LazyDaisy. Press 2 if you disagree. To speak to an operator press 3. Image
Thanks Matt Image .That gave me a smile, as I was just feeling frustrated yet again, sitting here with the dentists phoneline telling me that the queue is too long, and I will have to phone back.Grrrr!I have tried a load of times in the last week. Luckily not for an emergency, just to book a routine appointment. The surgery is 20 miles away, so I can't just pop in, I think I will have to write to them and book myself in.