[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
James Purnell - Add your comments to article - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

James Purnell - Add your comments to article

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
THe worst invention ever was the call centre.
This comment is important to us. Press 1 if you agree with LazyDaisy. Press 2 if you disagree. To speak to an operator press 3. Image
And if you want Matt to get a slap Image , contact me.I will do it for free Image Image Image Image
Is welfare reform needed? Most definitely, but not at the cost of carers losing their identity.Thats just my thoughts,lets see what others think and feel. .
I don't meekly permit the government to define - or redefine - my identity, Rosemary. Extra cash is always useful, thats all, whatever the name on the cheque. Does anyone define their identity by the benefit form they happen to be filling in this week, or by the job that they do? I hope not - that way is ruin... surely?
Does anyone define their identity by the benefit form they happen to be filling in this week
We are all going to have different opinions about this Rob but thats the beauty of debate.I am all for simplifying the benefit system and for reform but its not just the here and now,its in the future too.The governments goal is to have a SWAB with top ups.Maybe that would work who knows but for me I truly believe that carers should remain seperate to the benefit system.

The U turn by the government about the proposals regarding moving certain carers to JSA has only gave us a little breathing space.We may have won a wee battle but the war still goes on.

What do others here think??

Make your case Rob and convince me that I am thinking along the wrong tracks.
Does anyone define their identity by the benefit form they happen to be filling in this week, or by the job that they do? I hope not - that way is ruin... surely?
Actually, I'd say that the majority of people identify themselves by the job that they do, which is why so many long-term unemployed people have mental health problems. If you bump someone you've not seen for a long time, they're almost certain to ask what you're doing nowadays. We pigeonhole people - and sometimes their characters - by the job they do. Which is one reason why unemployed people are seen as lazy and shiftless, even if that is untrue.

And it's why so many carers feel that they go unrecognised for the sheer hard slog they do - it isn't seen that way and therefore they have no status in society. Put a value on being a carer and not only will the carer be in far less financial hot water, their pride will return.
Charles said:
Actually, I'd say that the majority of people identify themselves by the job that they do,
and as Charles also said other people make judgements about you according to the job you do...

I totally agree with Rosemary and Charles. This society does not value carers or caring as a valuable role in a society, either financially or as giving 'status'. The truth is carers are viewed as victims in need of a financial safety net...and not very intelligent ones at that...i'm sure most of us have been patronised at times simply because we are carers.

What is also worrying about 'fitting' carers into a SWAB is means testing...unless caring is viewed as a work rather than an unfortunate life circumstance carers are never really going to improve their income above 'safety net' levels and if means testing for carer benefits is introduced those carers with savings or other family income will be worse off than they are now!
I don`t know what planet this guy lives on but it certainly is not the same as ours
I heard on the early news this morning he is planning to put credit card interest
rates on loans from the social fund, I don`t have the full story, but that was the news headline.
Here is the BBC link Tony....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7794334.stm

Politicians from all parties have criticised a government paper proposing to charge interest on emergency state loans given to the UK's poorest people.