Carers' emergency support - west sussex

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
http://www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/44 ... 4172225.jp

Unpaid carers living in West Sussex are to get emergency respite support thanks to a new free service.
The service has been developed by the county council in partnership with the three West Sussex Crossroads schemes.

The service is there to ensure there is support for carers who are unable to care for someone because of an emergency, for exampleADVERTISEMENTif a carer became ill.

The Crossroads scheme will ensure experienced care workers are able to take over from a carer for up to 48 hours, or 72 hours over a weekend or bank holiday.

To be eligible, carers must complete an emergency plan and be providing regular care to an adult who is frail, living with an illness, has a physical disability, sensory impairment or dementia.

The scheme is linked to the carers' emergency alert card scheme. Carers would need to be registered with that scheme, as the card number would be used to trace the records and put any contingency plans in place.

To register contact Crossroads on 01403 243924, or ICIS on 01903 859929. For more information see www.westsussex.gov.uk, under social care and health/carers.
I hope the rest of Britain follows.My younger son was rushed into hospital one evening just before Easter. I drove him, and my daughter was with me, as I picked them up from work, where he had become ill. I had two careees still at home, both insulin dependent diabetics, and I could do nothing,as my younger son was going blue in A and E, and I could not get any attention for him from the staff(have had an apology afterwards, but it is too late then). If there was such a scheme loacally, I could have just phoned and asked them to go out, even just to take a bag of chips for my two diabetics at home(who incidentally also have other needs, including neither being able to drive). Just that little bit of security would have been great. Image