I spoke at the All Party Parliamentary Group for Carers

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Hi

The Chair of the All Party Group, Dr Hywell Francis MP is a carer himself and steered through his Private Members bill to become the Carers Equal Opportunities Act.
Carers Equal Opportunities Act
...or an ashtray on a motorbike, either way its as much use to Carers...

ian
Ian, I agree that the various Carers Acts are not as effective as I would like to see, but I know of carers who have benefited from their provisions, including the Carers Equal Opportunities Act.

Life is hard for carers - I know, I've been one for far too long - but don't you see that we cannot make it easier by demeaning the efforts of anyone who is trying to improve things?
We need proper laws with proper teeth, not wishy washy attempts to placate us with legislation that lets employers off with every loophole.

If Carers were recognised and paid as such then they would not need to get extra work on top of the full time responsibilities they have.

The truth is the government knows they can't afford to pay Carers properly but continues to hide behind not recognising us in preference to facing facts and increasing income tax to pay for it.

If CUK (and come to that any other charity) are to be taken seriously by Carers then they will need to send someone to the commons that will present a more forceful case for us.

Its no use complaining to these groups of MPs what hardships we endure, they are not listening. If they were then they would have made things better for us.

I say again that we will still be in the same mess come next year unless CUK's management buck up their ideas and start putting the real issues on the agenda for discussion instead of deciding things behind closed doors.

Only then will the desperately needed action be taken to resolve the massive problem of Carer poverty.

ian
Ian, I agree that the various Carers Acts are not as effective as I would like to see, but I know of carers who have benefited from their provisions, including the Carers Equal Opportunities Act.
Carers who are still able to go out to work have benefited from the C E A. And the Government are concentrating on helping more Carers to continue to work for longer.

I agree it's beneficial for Carers who are able to to carry on working, even if all it does is prevent the social isolation that the 24/7 Carers complain of.

Financially it's questionable whether working Carers will ultimately benefit from working because at present their savings and assets are not protected. As we know when they have to give up work to Care they are disqualified from claiming IS and many other benefits because they have savings. In effect many Carers end up self-funding
their caring role.

If the Government doesn't address this aspect of financial ruin for Carers then it seems that all the "help" they are offering to keep carers working for longer is designed to enable even more carers to self-fund in the future.
Life is hard for carers - I know, I've been one for far too long - but don't you see that we cannot make it easier by demeaning the efforts of anyone who is trying to improve things?
I can see some merit in discussing an event before it happens so that Carers can get the best out of every opportunity (bearing mind each individuals capabilities), but the time and threads wasted in critising and nit
picking over what has already been said or done is for the most part, just that, a waste of time and effort.
If Carers were recognised and paid as such then they would not need to get extra work on top of the full time responsibilities they have.
There is no possability of a 24/7 Carer being able to go out to work. It is the 24/7 Carer who is most in need of help and support and they are the one who are being ignored by the Government.
If CUK (and come to that any other charity) are to be taken seriously by Carers then they will need to send someone to the commons that will present a more forceful case for us.
Yep it would great if they would. But a charity is not a pressure group.

Carers need to form their own independent, efficient and credible pressure group.
That hasn't, as yet, happened because people are putting their own personal feelings, likes, dislikes etc before Carers issues.
Maybe because of the stress of caring, or maybe because of the social isolation Carers are out of touch with the "real" world. By that I mean that people who go out to work, have to work with people they don't like.
If Carers genuinely want to form a pressure group then they need to accept (that just like working people) it isn't neccassary to like and approve of every aspect of another Carers words, actions and personality to work with them.
Until Carers accept that fact, then they will have to depend on others to speak for them, or wait for a William Wilberfoce type character to appear. It could be a long wait.
Ian

You are a member on Wendy's site so why you have not bothered to get your facts right one can only guess..
On an open board you have stated that Wendy spoke to the APG under instructions from CUK.

This statement can only be taken to be a deliberate lie as the true information is freely available on boards of which you are a member.

Wendy was invited to speak by The National Extension College because lottery funding is being withdrawn, which would be another kick in the teeth for carers. She has not , as you say been used as a puppet by CUK or anybody else, she was there fighting for something that has benefited her and she used the chance to speak out for carers in general.

If this attack continues it can only be interpreted as a deliberate attempt to inflame a situation that only exists in your mind.

Regards Ken
Wendy for Trustee!

Wendy for Trustee!

Good idea! Or how about Wendy for Queen, and Clive for King????

Isn't this fun, and so productive we'll have it all sorted any minute now, Carers will get wot they deserve and we can all go home.

Ah but wait, wouldn't life be boring????

Well I suppose we could always have two little princes locked up the tower, any takers for the role of princes????? Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

SPLAT, Ohoh,oh,oh Ouch, Just got trampled in the rush.