I spoke at the All Party Parliamentary Group for Carers

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Well I gave my speech yesterday 16th October in the Houses of Parliament at the All Party Parliamentary Group for Carers.
I did my best for all of us but I will leave CUk or PRTC to let you have the details.
Wendy
well ddone wendy, i am sure you did us all proud.

it takes a lot of courage to something like that.

thank you.
pam
Thanks PamR,
Much appreciated.
Many carers will have done it before and many will do it again.
This was my small effort,I did my best for all of us.
Don't know if the MP's were speechless or went to sleep with it. lol
I look forward to reading about the next carer who will do it , if I can do it then anyone can.
Wendy
when can we expect to to hear the speach, I can't wait. I hope you stuck it right into to them Wendy!!!, no messing!!!
Well done Wendy, I'm sure you did us all proud Image

Paula xx
Thanks Paula,
Here is a little snippett taken from my speech, the rest was personal to me and other carers. (with their permission)
best wishes
Wendy
Carers are in crisis and want actions to be taken urgently. Here are some proposals.

Do away with the overlapping benefits rule

Carers allowance to be increased

More respite to be available and when it is arranged it is not cancelled at the last minute.

Free prescriptions and glasses for carers

A heating allowance for carers because they dread the cold weather and the subsequent bills.

Care in the community is suitable for majority of people but each case should be assessed individually to ensure each person is treated for their needs. Health professionals should not go by the cheap option.

Elderly citizens need care and respect but they don’t get it because they are classed as unprofitable. Yet they gave us the society we have today.

We need a realistic TV documentary to be shown to raise awareness, something like the Cathy Come Home programme shown many years ago.

Carers are the forgotten ones and yet as you all know they save the country £87billion. It may seem easy to say these words, but when you see the reality, I’m sure it would upset you as much as it does me. From the last census we can assume there are carers who have not been included in these statistics, the hidden carers of our society, because they do not think of themselves as carers.
Thanks Paula,
Here is a little snippett taken from my speech, the rest was personal to me and other carers. (with their permission)
best wishes
Wendy
Carers are in crisis and want actions to be taken urgently. Here are some proposals.

Do away with the overlapping benefits rule

Carers allowance to be increased

More respite to be available and when it is arranged it is not cancelled at the last minute.

Free prescriptions and glasses for carers

A heating allowance for carers because they dread the cold weather and the subsequent bills.

Care in the community is suitable for majority of people but each case should be assessed individually to ensure each person is treated for their needs. Health professionals should not go by the cheap option.

Elderly citizens need care and respect but they don’t get it because they are classed as unprofitable. Yet they gave us the society we have today.

We need a realistic TV documentary to be shown to raise awareness, something like the Cathy Come Home programme shown many years ago.

Carers are the forgotten ones and yet as you all know they save the country £87billion. It may seem easy to say these words, but when you see the reality, I’m sure it would upset you as much as it does me. From the last census we can assume there are carers who have not been included in these statistics, the hidden carers of our society, because they do not think of themselves as carers.
You touch on most things Wendy, you really must have been pushed for time, well done I hope something comes off it after all your hard work.

When can we expect the prologue from the Charities?, its all pointless if there is not any follow through.
Hi Wendy,

Congrats on your speech to the All Party Group.

I'll ask my colleague who attends the All Party Group if there is a record of the event.

Gavin
Thanks Gavin,
Yes I met Emily and she was great and said much more than I did.
Wendy
Well done Wendy!!

I know its not easy standing up there, but you did it and I bet you were brilliant! Look forward to reading the speech.

Take care
Maryann x