[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
How much should carers be paid? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

How much should carers be paid?

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Charles - I don't understand this bit :
Boggle, Excalibur - I've just posted elsewhere on the subject but I'll do it here. By all means disagree if you must but don't turn it into something personal.
I didn't think there was anything personal - did I miss something?

I don't have a fixed figure in mind at the moment - I wanted people to put their suggestions forward - my starting point would be as I said - let's think more than minimum wage - because we are worth more than that!

Vicky - yes the recognition of the working role is vitally important - the spin doctors claim to recognise it but that means nothing until they do something practical to back the spin up ! There will never be an offer on the table unless people stop faffing about and get on with it!

John - I hear what you're saying about the work of bringing up children but there is a huge difference between that and caring for a sick/disabled person. I brought up three children and it was hard work - but I can seperate the work of raising three kids and the different work of caring for my disabled daughter. Generally kids follow a routine that includes bedtime and sleep, school, outside activities, - they soon get beyond an age where they need the sort of help and care that many of our carees need - the difference is huge and whilst bringing up kids is no walk in the park it is a lot easier than the caring duties many of us have.
John - I hear what you're saying about the work of bringing up children but there is a huge difference between that and caring for a sick/disabled person.
I think it is highly variable, either side. Some kids are much harder work than others, likewise some people with disabilities need a lot more help than others. Also carers vary so greatly in their own capabilities that what might be a huge burden to some is all in a days work to others - some of whom share the care around the family. Thats why I think that the first problem is about solving poverty generically, not about carers per se. Sure carers need to be above the breadline, but then so does everybody.

Once we get past that problem, what carers mostly need is time to themselves, time to work, sleep, rest and play. We aren't all materially poor, but we are all time-poor.
excaliber caring is not a hobby, stamp collecting, knitting, playing sport is a hobby,the reason the renumeration is so important too us is that we actually live on our benefits, we pay gas bills ,phone bills, electricity, food the list is endless we have no other form of income and we do live in poverty relative to how the average uk citizen expects to live in this century. if on top of this we had to pay for care then we couldn't pay our way we just could not stretch our budget anymore.i like most other carers did not choose to become a full 24/7 stay at home carer i was actually given 3 choices by social services ,my children would be fostered or adopted or i give up my job and care for them which as any decent parent would say, was a no brainer i thought it would be for a few years then school,and me back to work but unfortunately my wife's condition began to deteriorate and back to work never again became an option, of course i look after her out of love but unfortunately people keep sending us bills that have to be paid i would be more than happy to care for her for love and for free but the bills keep coming
Mungo: Have you considered that you might have bitten off more than you can reasonably chew? At a certain point of overload the standard of care we can offer (and our own quality of life) will deteriorate to the point where we must either renegotiate the package of care we are receiving, or, if that fails, accept the inevitable and quit.
Where do we stand on FOSTER CARERS £400 per week for each child you care for and as far as i know you can care for more then one child -the support and help they receive is second to none .

Would the citizens wage be means tested ? those who have private pensions or dare i say it war disabled / war widows / war service pensions, civil service pensions- M.P`s retirement pensions - those citizens who paid extra into a private fund would they still be able to claim the citizens wage - i understand what you are saying and in fact i would agree that all who cant work for various reasons be it retirement , disability or carers should be entitled to the same payment ...

I did make my own mind up to become a carer but in a roundabout way - in 1997 i was overhead linesman senior supervisor on a salary of over £50-000 ( thats shifts 7 days a week -the audit commission actually mentioned our rates of pay during an inspection) i was given some time off work, in fact was told to stay off work for as long as it took, after about six months it was obvious to care for STAN it would have to be me reason - we at first looked at the care / rest homes for STAN and to be honest from the 12 or more we looked at not one was suitable every single one was not fit for purpose we did think of the Chelsea pensioners but STAN was imobile and to enter the Royal Hospital you have to be mobile they will care for you if you become imobile at a later date .
we did get some day care free for about 1 year then the charges came in to play we did not even get any council tax or housing benefit as the Labour council did not disregard war related pensions when the Liberals came into power the council gave us the disregard and at a stroke we had help and supprt with council tax housing benefit we then were happy to pay for the day care / day centers but as my own cash/ savings began to dwindle we found ourselves slipping into poverty (well you know what i mean) had the carers allowance been set at a decent level then i would not have had any problems at all even the same rate as J.S.A. would help many of us .

In the future if we cant afford to live the way we do now because of the possability of losing disability benfits and no help re carers allowance we will have no option but to use the residential social care system but even that may not be an option as in the future to enter residential social care you will have to be critically ill and not just because you cant afford to be cared for within your own home .
Look out Chelsea Pensioners the old doll may be on the way .....
you are right about the overload excalibur i have my own serious health problems including severe depression and have had to battle through 3 major mental breakdowns at home, whilst still caring, it does terrify me what happens, when the inevitable, happens and i can't cope any longer if i'm really truthful i think that point was reached a long time ago and like many other carers i have gone into a sort of autopilot, functioning as a carer but not as a human being in my own right,it is probably a state that thousands of long term carers like me can relate to but at the end of the day, if the help is not there, it is not there end of story
Where do we stand on FOSTER CARERS £400 per week for each child you care for and as far as i know you can care for more trhen one child -the support and help they receive is second to none .
They are professionals and part of the care industry, and mostly worth every penny in my view by providing a home for often very damaged kids. But there is no real comparison with what we do - they work for social services and are subject to regulation and inspection.
, it does terrify me what happens, when the inevitable, happens and i can't cope any longer if i'm really truthful i think that point was reached a long time ago
And there is no shame in either asking for help or stepping back from directly providing the care yourself if you cannot cope. There but for the grace of God go all of us, so it is better to plan the transition well in advance than to leave it for a crisis.
Why do people keep saying that £150 isnt enough. I would be happy with that.

Currently the £53.10 CA + £41 IS p/week

is barely keeping me here, but I have no choice, its either that or nothing.
I think I missed Kev4's post in the rush, but it is worth reading again: he makes a very salient point:
I receiver CA, IS, and HB. Add it all together and I receive just over £200. Using this web Calculator http://listentotaxman.com/. It works out that I would have to earn £250 per week to take home the same amount.

£7.14 per hour for a 35 hour working week.
+ free prescriptions

I know it's not that simple, I've worked it out for my income only and used the minimum 35 hour's required for CA.

So am I any worse off then some one working on a low income? No I earn more then minimum wage on the above figures.

You have to remember lots of people work full time and look after children and family. They get tired just like we do. Have very little free time for themselves and work just as hard.
What I don't really understand is how the Tax Credits work to help people on low wages.
I would definitely disagree with the works just as hard bit, come on, really.
Vicky