[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act, 2009 - Carers UK Forum

The Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act, 2009

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
I discovered some information this week that (I hope) will help me tremendously to ensure I can access our disabled parking space on a more permanent basis, and I thought it might help others, too,, if they weren't previously aware of the above-mentioned act.
Our space is for my grandson, who has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. We live on a main road with a shop nearby, and have often come home to find our space occupied by non-Blue Badge holders. I have contacted the Police and the local council previously, only to be told that the space was 'advisory' and could not be legally enforced. Following another such episode a few days ago, I did a bit more digging online and discovered that the Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act, 2009, stipulates that all advisory disabled parking spaces should be made statutory and upgraded by Traffic Regulation Orders to make them legally enforceable i.e. the Police or traffic wardens have a duty to see that they are not abused by non-Blue Badge Holders.
Having been told by the Police when the latest incident occurred that there was nothing they could do, I was able to phone them back, armed with this information and, lo and behold, they managed to trace the driver by the registration number and got the car moved out of our space :) :) :)
I phoned the council, too, to check that our space now had a TRO applied to it and was told that it had been applied in April this year - nobody had bothered to tell me that, despite the problems we'd had over the summer months.
This might make our lives easier, and I hope it might help others, too xx
Hi Caring42 I am a parent of a son with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. He is 29 now - how old is your grandson if you don't mind my asking? Maybe we could swop tips/advice?

Eun
Hi Eun, I am sorry for the delay in responding - I haven't been on here for a while, and I have just come across your reply. My grandson is eleven, and he is still fairly mobile. How is your son doing?

I feel quite isolated, as there is not much support here for our situation. I would be glad to share any tips or advice with you. Thank you.
Hi Caring 42
Our son has just come out of hospital a few days ago - he was rushed into the Sothern General on January 1st with pancreatitis. He was in for 12 days and my husband and I were sharing the care over that time. I was doing the days and hubby was doing the nights. Home now so hopefully we can get back to some semblance of what passes for normality with us, lol. He had surgery around 8 weeks or so ago to have an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (or ICD) fitted and he came through this with flying colours. When he was 13 he had a spinal fusion done at Yorkill and he now uses a bi pap ventilator 24/7. It doesn't hold him back though. He has a 2:1 Honours degree in Computer Games Technology, he likes to go to the cinema and out for meals with his pals, he likes going clubbing and going to gigs and he plays powered wheelchair football for the Clyde Claymores. He was voted Campaigner of the Year last year by the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign for his work in trying to get respite for young adults with palliative are needs who are too old for the children's hospices.
Anytime you want to PM me or anything feel free. Does your grandson get to go to any of the Children's Hospices?

All the best

Eun
Hi Eun, I'm sorry to hear your son has been ill - I see from your other post that he is out of hospital now, and I am so glad for all of you. He sounds like an amazing young man!!

We haven't looked at children's hospices yet - the nearest one to us is some distance away, and I don't really like the idea of sending him away from us, although he is in the Scouts and has been to Cubs and Scout camps locally. He is still very mobile and he enjoys swimming, club golf, Scouts (although not as much as he enjoyed the Cubs) and, of course, his computer games (Xbox, etc.). He would be on these all day and night if he was allowed, but I like to keep him active.

We are currently awaiting the arrival of his first electric wheelchair.