[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Government seeks members of Standing Commission on Carers - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Government seeks members of Standing Commission on Carers

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
I think it will be England only as Scotland already had Carer Strategy doesn't it.

marie x
I don't know for sure but I would say it is most likely an England only appointment, as the 'national' Strategy was mainly about England as most of the issues are devolved. They really ought to have made this clear if they are advertising in UK wide newspapers.
I was asked to keep quiet untill the government had made the announcment re members of the commission i have been asked to join but have sadly turned down the offer the main reason being is that they want the commission to help implement the national carers stratergy and to be honest i dont know what the national carers stratergy is do you ??? i was also informed that as the commission will meet in London i would have been able to claim a second home residency payment of up to £116-000 oh well what you never have you dont miss .
no doubt the commission will be full of many who have no idea of caring at the coal face is like -oh aye and probably a few celebrities oh George you are a cynical little sod.
NO JOKING I WOULD LOVE TO BE PART OF IT
BUT I WOULD END UP GETTING THE SACK Image
Well, I have asked for an application form for my wife. She is studying for a PhD in social policy, has two disabled sons (Whom I care for), has had a wealth of experience with Barnados, parents link and her thesis is on the subject of "The participation of parents with disabled children in service development". I reckon she has the qalifications and anything less than the chairmanship would be a disappointment. Oh, by the way, she ain't no celebrity, well, not yet anyway.

I'll let you know how she gets on.
no doubt the commission will be full of many who have no idea of caring at the coal face is like -oh aye and probably a few celebrities oh George you are a cynical little sod.
The commission currently has several carers on it who definitely do know what caring at the coal face is like, including some Carers UK members. You can see a list of the current membership here
http://www.advisorybodies.doh.gov.uk/scoc/members.htm and read about them here
http://www.advisorybodies.doh.gov.uk/scoc/profiles.htm
What surprises me more than anything else is that while the credentials of all these people are in no doubt, but why many of us on here seem to be no better off.

I gave up work to care for my son. I was earning over £2500 per month. Now I get £202.20 carers allowance. I can't for the life of me see what all these committees achieve.

If the chasm between what I earned employed and what I get now as a carer was in someway closed, that would be the biggest help I could think of. It isn't rocket science is it? Or is it I'm getting cynical in my old age.

I know there are direct payments but that only helps my son. Care for the carer, then the cared for receive better care. Oh well, off to pick my son up now as the local authority refuse to do it.

Gerry.
i think i should apply snigger snigger liven it all up abit,,

and i would claim extorsionate expenses and share it with u lovely folk on here! (its ok to say u have 2 homes isnt it)
we need members on this commission who care now and know what carers need no doubt many of those on the list are well educated but just look at the mess we are in now and these people have been working to help carers for years .
We need members who will have to fight for their caree to get some respite care FREE just so they can attend the commission meetings i just wonder how many of those on the list will be requiering respite care to allow them to attend the commission meetings not many me thinks .
anywho how many reviews, reports, select committee reports, national stratergies, & commissions do we need to be told at the end we cant get any extra cash or respite help and what there is will be means tested .
oh george ye of little faith Image

have i missed something but i thought they were about to advertise for the vacancies re the commission are those named on the commission now ?

sorry but it`s doing meheadin