[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Fear of the backlash against carers - Carers UK Forum

Fear of the backlash against carers

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
I feel most strongly that all carers should be recognised rewarded and involved more in the care services. however I am very very worried about the emphasis on payment- although this is needed I also think i would not need to do so much caring if services worked properly
and also I am very very afraid that what might happen similar to what i KNOW happens with Disabilty living allowance. I need to explain a bit why so read on -

My Caree really needs this DLA allowance and applyin for it has made them ill in the past as they have to avoid any stress - seriously - they get carted off to hospital by the men in blue but the govt insists on your applying for it over and over again, even when you are seriouslly and chroniclly ill adn never goign to get well enough to work again . Image

BUT there are people who are milking the system - who are NO way as ill as my caree and if carers allowance was easy to get i really do feel similar types might also try to abuse this and it would be the real carers who would get teh public backlash -
how would you stop some one from claiming when they are not really caring- I know we need this but i have ssen it happen with DLA- whic as we really really need this really angers me.

I am thinking that a similar system would have to be set up . I do think we need to thnk aobut this as yes the money would be nice but how would you feel if some of it went to people who shoudl not have it- how can organistaions such as this help with that as i feel it might be what is delaying some form of payment ( as well as teh other goverment excuses for not paying!)

there are also some people who are not milking the system but have a lot of caring roles as they come from extended families how live in one house so the woman usually ends up doing caring for kids, sister, mother etc all at once but gets no financial help cos partner works but no one sees how this keeps the poor woman down and how would a payment be got to her just for her- bit like child benefit was paid to mothers as only cash you could have that the husband could not take off you ( supposedly).

I know how people sometimes see my caree - someone who lives on state money and does not work- and sits in garden in summer and stays up late having BBQ's etc - they dont see the months and months in hospital so there is a public image thing this. I have sometime abuse from people who dont understand and think my caree milks the system cos when well he appears fine to them but its a chronic mental health illness so its even harder for folks to understand about than a broken leg or stroke. I just want to see if any one else has had this attitude or fears it and if any one has ideas how to adress it.
Hi Goose

You have raised a lot of interesting issues here.

I think it's worth reminding ourselves that deliberate benefit fraud is very rare. A lot of what passes for 'fraud' in the govt stats is actually mistakes and misunderstanding. But we know the press and public hype this up and the unfortunate outcome of this is the kind of attitudes you describe, where people who don;t understand disability make harsh judgements about other people - based on ignorance.

The situation you describe, that if carers are given a better deal in the benefits system then perhaps others may try to become classed a carer, to get more money - well yes that might well happen. And this is turn might put genuine carers under more scrutiny. That's possible, but it certainly shouldnt; stop us fighting for a better deal. I would say, let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Public ignorance about caring and disability is the real problem here. And changing those attitudes takes time. Personally I think how much better it is now than it was say 30 years ago, but I don;t live with this day in day out like you guys do. I would be intersted to know if you all think public understanding has improved?
I agree Goose.

In the summer, my husband can sometimes manage to cut our lawn, but then will be lying down for the rest of the day, unable to do anything. In cold and damp weather, he can hardly move at all, and my life is constantly juggling my role as carer to several people. I cannot be in three places at once,(four if my dad is ill,)but I am expected to be, and feel constantly harassed by the Authorities if I cannot be at their back and call.
I have noticed a post on forums about some one who was caught for claiming and should not have been - its a temptation when short of cash and life is miserable but if carers are doing it what is to stop others doing it and runign it for those who really need it? I dont at present but heard such news from others at conference that is was so distressign to know people were going back to live on next to nothing.

For me I feel public opinion aroudn mental health is not good and the understandign about those on long term sick with an mental health illness is very very poor- they relapsing nature they dont understand and the fact that you can be well for a few months and then in hospital for 8 months- how could any one maintain a job let alone how hard it is to maintain a relationship when locked up for that long but neightbours dont see it like that!

no one see the boredom, isolation, and discrimination...
only genuine carers should get carers alowance. Im on it because husband has manic depression, schitzophrenia and sleep disorder and is incontinent. So many may try to dfraud the system i hope they get caught. If there wasnt any defrauding wed gte more money. Lets see what todays budget bring 4 us. Iv heard rumours carers alowance may be doubled??/
only genuine carers should get carers alowance. Im on it because husband has manic depression, schitzophrenia and sleep disorder and is incontinent. So many may try to dfraud the system i hope they get caught. If there wasnt any defrauding wed gte more money. Lets see what todays budget bring 4 us. Iv heard rumours carers alowance may be doubled??/
I agree that defrauding is wrong and measures should be taken to stop it, but please don't live under the assumption that if it was stopped we'd get more money, because we wouldn't the government just doesn't work like that. I sure hope what you heard is more than a rumor, the amount of money we get is really pityfull.....
Jim
My tuppence worth:
If you were going to defraud the DWP you wouldn't do it with Carers Allowance it's the lowest of the lot and you gotta work 35+ hours for it! Image

I reckon there is LESS benefit fraud than the government would let you believe!

There's supposed to be way more fraud in housing and Taxes but you don't hear about them all over the papers do you! Image

I wonder why? Image

marie x
WBy the by...

Why is there no EDIT on this thred? Image

marie x
Hi Goose, I've had to live with other peoples stupid ignorant remarks all our married life. My wife Jill has suffered mental health problems since she was eighteen. Even her own family could never understand so what hope is there for neigbours etc. Some days she could take on the world but it was always short lived and the dreaded depression came back with a vengeance. I and my kids would be left to pick up the pieces once again.
She finally succumed to TIAs mini strokes in 2006. Funnily enough this made it easier for folks to understand because they understand the word "stroke".
Like Matt says though. We'll cross the "better deal bridge" when we come to it. Roll on I say.

Pete
My family has suffered because of my younger son's mental problems. This year, my husbands family have turned their back on us, because they do not understand.My son then feels guilty(, even though the family never had much to do with us anyway), and that makes him feel worse.He is on the mend, and we believe a lot of his problems were caused by poor management of antidepressants, but to live with mental illness, either yourself , or as a Carer, for years on end, without loved ones on your side, must be an absolute nightmare. To see a person you love, suffering makes you suffer too,but who is there to hold a Carers hand, during this Hell.

Pete the Paint, and everyone else who has done this for so long, well done, and I hope that you have a shoulder to cry on when you need it, and a hand to hold on the worst days.