Extra rate phone numbers

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Image Don't know if this subject has been mentioned,and i suppose it is another difficult one to try and find an answer to,but these higher rate numbers 0870 and the like that now we have to call for just about anything,are i feel an extra burden financially on the carers out tyhere that rely heavily on thier phones for contact.
My local surgery recently cahnged from a local number to an 0845 number thereby costing me extra to ring.
These numbers can range from About 4p per minute to around 15 p,and the only beneficiary of this is the company who operate the number.
Around a year ago i had dealings with a phone supplier,trying to resolve a bill issue,in fact after they had restricted my service it turned out that most of the calls were to their 0870 customer care line,where the usual department hopping,being put on hold etc was racking up my bill,all this to the call centre.
Make no mistake these numbers can be even more dangerous than the premium rate chat lines,horoscope lines etc as the amount of time we wait on them is appaling.
My call package with BT is for all day calls free,and some discounted at weekends.
Now on top i have to call these.
I just wonder where people think carers have the money to fork out this extra,and how many serious problems this may cause.
While i do accept that everyone is having to call them,surely as i said it adds the extra burden that we don't need,and as many of us are linked to our internet connections,losing or having problems with our phones could have a grave consequence.
I wish the companies who operate these lines would in fact be more customer and not profit driven,and realise that their greed can have serious knock on effects.
There it is,wonder what anyone else thinks would love to know!! Scott Image
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA
say no to 0870 you type in the 0780 number or the firm and it may bring up a local call number for the one they want you to phone, not all companies are there as it relies on people informing about the number like employees or ex-employees Image
say no to 0870 you type in the 0780 number or the firm and it may bring up a local call number for the one they want you to phone, not all companies are there as it relies on people informing about the number like employees or ex-employees Image
Thanks for the info,did the say no petition thingy, fingers crossed. Image
________
Vapir no2
I think was you who posted this link last year Wildthing, on the old forum.I know since you mentioned it I have used it many times.Occasionally, after getting a landline number and getting through they have tried get me to ring again using the premium number.I just say it does not matter and it seems to do the trick.,I am then put through no problem.

I bet its saved me quite a bit money this last 12 months.

Thanks
Rosemary
I just tell them "all numbers beginning 08 are barred from this phone".....well they are, I barred them!

ian