[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Exploitation - Carers UK Forum

Exploitation

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
An opportunity for 16-18 year olds to work in home care for the elderly, learning all aspects of care work including personal care.
Apprentice care assistant £2.50 per hour shifts – government funding available to 16-18 year olds and the vacancy is exempt from the National Minimum Wage.
This is disgraceful and it needs to be stopped!
I thought personalisation was to do with choice and control Image but for many who are in care homes they are being subjected to children wiping their bums – because this is what personal care equates to for many.

When I left school I did an apprenticeship and was paid the going rate, ‘this is exploitation' by private care companies and the jobcentre plus is advertising it for god sake! Image Image Image
Plus ca change, plus ca las meme chose .. (nothing changes, everything stays the same)

Attachments

15 years ago many of my daughter's friends did this as a 'saturday' job for only 50p per hour less.
And, here is the real thing, a page from the Matrons Black Book ... over 100 years ago:
"Took drugs and her statements not accurate"
"Had to be dismissed for drink!"
"A very poor nurse"
"Not strong enough for the work"
"Passed very successfully ...not suitable for a charge nurse
And that is just one page ... scathing indeed, glad I never met this paragon, I would hate to think what she might have said about me ...

Attachments

I would hate to think what she might have said about me ...
I can put you right on that score Image Image Image Image
I would hate to think what she might have said about me ...
I can out you right on that score Image Image Image Image
Thankyou, Matron. Will you wear those latex gloves again? Image Image Image
Thankyou, Matron. Will you wear those latex gloves again? Image Image Image
Here is a clue on how I would take your temperature
An opportunity for 16-18 year olds to work in home care for the elderly, learning all aspects of care work including personal care.
Apprentice care assistant £2.50 per hour shifts – government funding available to 16-18 year olds and the vacancy is exempt from the National Minimum Wage.
This is disgraceful and it needs to be stopped!
I thought personalisation was to do with choice and control Image but for many who are in care homes they are being subjected to children wiping their bums – because this is what personal care equates to for many.

When I left school I did an apprenticeship and was paid the going rate, ‘this is exploitation' by private care companies and the jobcentre plus is advertising it for god sake! Image Image Image
Apologies for going off topic D. Could not resist that opportunity though.

Like you I find this disgraceful.
Disgraceful.
Thanks Rosemary,
Anyway, back to the subject in question

Care Homes for Older People, National Minimum Standards, Care standards & Home Care Regulations 2001.
28 - STANDARD 27
27.6 Staff providing personal care to service users are at least aged 18; staff left in charge of the home are at least aged 21.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/gro ... 135403.pdf

It makes me more determined to raise awareness about Human Rights.

http://ukhumanrightsblog.com/2011/06/03 ... cy-series/

Question Time last night.
See here

Community Care podcast.
Humanity and compassion are not related to pay but if you want good staff you have to pay more money.
See here