[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Emergency budget 2010 - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Emergency budget 2010

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
125 posts
IIAN DUNCAN SMITH has been charged with the task of removing 25% from the welfare budget within 5 years , they did say out of work benefits , is the carers allowance an out of work benefit ??? if you have C.A. because your caree is in receipt of D.L.A. i would be very concerned, as many will be declared fit for work and as we know no D.L.A. no C.A. new claimants for C.A. D.L.A. A.A. may be means tested, in fact all of us may be subject to means testing .even the benefit rise which is not worth a light will now be via the C.P.I not the R.P.I. that will save billions each and every year .
what annoyed me was that we had not one mention re carers apart from some mumbo jumbo about council tax and the home with the extra bedroom for a carer ??????
he should have acknowledged the value of carers to the N.H.S. and even if he said that the allowance was safe and would remain intact would have been a relief for many ....
pension rise state pension will be either wages , c.p.i. or 2.5 % whichever is the higher ,,,
war widows and war disabled dont come under this at the moment, this year war widows / war disabled had a rise of 1.5% state pensioners 2.5%
Nilla I took it to mean adults will need a medical assessment, they can't surely expect all the disabled children in the UK to be rounded up for medical tests, besides what does that say about their paeds who have already given their diagnosis and in our childrens case is more than happy to elaborate on what that means in terms of care.
Are NHS paeds not to be trusted? Are they conspirators in some massive benefit swindle?
Vicky
if you have C.A. because your caree is in receipt of D.L.A. i would be very concerned,
Ill be concerned when/if a letter arrives through my front door stating i need to act to keep the entitlement. Aside from that, if i as a carer start worrying about alot of what ifs/whens then im only going to make my partners condition worse with the additional stress ill be carrying. Besides from the countless contradictions in the budget and pre-election promises, i'll just carry on as normal without adopting this doomsday attitude everyone has. I believe the term is "Carpe Diem" and as a carer, thats the only attitude you can adopt or else you run yourself in rings. Yes i understand the benefits system is having a shake up and of course, people will be worrying but surely we should be adopting a positive approach for the few people who will be seeking solace from this board.

*The positive attitude/outlook being to can overcome what the government throw at you. The person you care for has been awarded DLA for a reason (proofs:- medical reports). Its not like getting on DLA is easy anyway. We personally had to appeal and goto tribunal like im sure many other people did as well.
They are going to bring in new medicals for DLA claimants. .
Hmm that'll be interesting! My boy doesn't have a medical condition (well I have never considered DS to be one as it has so many and varied side effects), and he isnt psychologically particularly unwell; he just has a learning disability. Now the only people able to assess that are skilled educators, and a comprehensive assessment would take at least 48 hours continuous observation, which is both intrusive, expensive and impractical.

The system has failed. It creates all sorts of perverse incentives with the consequence that less than 25% of people with LDs are in anything approaching employment. I would rather he were taken off the disability benefits system completely in some ways but the problem there is that the basic state income safety net is grossly inadequate and there arent many suitable decent jobs.This is a travesty really, a waste of talent: most people with LDs would love to work, but the State must do better in either encouraging private sector employers to take responsibility and compensate them for the reduced productivity; or by providing rewarding work themselves in the public sector.
The same argument could be used about NHS consultants helping adults in the receipt of disability benefits
My boy doesn't have a medical condition (well I have never considered DS to be one as it has so many and varied side effects),

I didn't realise until I joined MSE that DLA has nothing to do with being diagnosed with a condition or disablity but just about care needs, it didn't arise in my sons case because he is severe anyways, as I said though does this medical assessments apply to children, I would be surprised.
Vicky
The same argument could be used about NHS consultants helping adults in the receipt of disability benefits
Yes, absolutely but I think they are under the impression that adults can pull the wool over doctors eyes, that's not my opinion but what I am guessing would be the point of medical assessments, this would be harder for a child to do I guess. It does mean though that those with mental health problems are going to be hard hit.
Vicky
Budget in full, covers a few pages so just click on next to continue reading.

Hansard

page 2

[quote]That brings me to another universal benefit]
From DWP

Carers

We recognise the important work done by carers up and down the country and so we will provide an extra £60 million by 2014 to help fund an additional room for carers.
?????

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/top-stories/#fairness

Is that paid carers or unpaid carers?
I think it might be for a paid carer 'personal assistant' to live in if they don't have family not sure it is a puzzle Image Image
125 posts